54cm bike

da1esman
da1esman Posts: 31
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to purchase a road bike for my nephew as he is keen to move on from his MTB.

What is the best out there for £500 or they about :?: :?: .

Living on the dales I am limited on what available for the road most are MTB or 1k plus road bikes. So having to look on line for a bike, so any feed back from cyclist's who ride or have ridden with in this price range would be a great help.

Have no plans on going down the Halfords route :twisted:

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Look at Merlin cycles own range of bikes from 350 pound up. Decathalon too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I was going to mention Decathlon (B'Twin range), also Merlin and I think Rutland Water Cycles (or whatever they're called) had some very good value bikes on offer.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    At £500, source a second hand bike that fits.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    These usually have some discounted bikes http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p0/R ... oad-Racing
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    bontie wrote:

Defo - will save an upgrade in a few months time !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    bontie wrote:

As an example - how about this just listed in the classifieds:-

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13023765

10-speed 105 and some not too shabby wheels. What's not to like??

or save yourself even more money with this:-

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13023536

or if you're feeling really adventurous - buy a suitable frameset such as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-Volan ... 6b3fe2744e

and build it up with nearly new components off the classifieds on here or Fleabay.

Took that route myself to build up a flat bar road bike for my grandson using a Genesis Volant frameset from Paul Milnes. He's now been riding it for several months and is chuffed to bits with it.

15486596682_5d7812f652_b.jpg
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,885
    arlowood wrote:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-Volan ... 6b3fe2744e

and build it up with nearly new components off the classifieds on here or Fleabay.

Took that route myself to build up a flat bar road bike for my grandson using a Genesis Volant frameset from Paul Milnes. He's now been riding it for several months and is chuffed to bits with it.

15486596682_5d7812f652_b.jpg

That's really nice - is the idea to drop bar convert it for him at some point in the future?
    Oh and that nearly new Ribble looks a helluvva deal.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Daniel B wrote:

That's really nice - is the idea to drop bar convert it for him at some point in the future?

I did consider building it with drop bars from the outset but he's a bit conservative so I opted for the flat bars to let him transition from his old MTB more easily. Not sure if he would ultimately go for drop bars but the conversion would be fairly straightforward with bars (that I already have) and some 10-speed 105 5700 STI's which can be sourced relatively cheaply from the classifieds
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Your thread title concerns me a bit - buy one of the model suggested already in the thread (or something else) but buy it in the right size. One manufacturer's 54cm frame can be very different proportions from another manufacturuer's 54cm frame
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,885
    arlowood wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I did consider building it with drop bars from the outset but he's a bit conservative so I opted for the flat bars to let him transition from his old MTB more easily. Not sure if he would ultimately go for drop bars but the conversion would be fairly straightforward with bars (that I already have) and some 10-speed 105 5700 STI's which can be sourced relatively cheaply from the classifieds

Top job Sir :D

To the OP - if you want to go the new bike route, and you/he can find another £100, AND this is available in the right size, this could prove quite a deal with Shimano 105 - I know Decathlon have been mentioned already:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alur-700-road-bike-id_8290145.html
    big_af618f1753854e3ba2214ad721d2b216.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18