help needed, i may have done something stupid

jon3619
jon3619 Posts: 75
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
hello all,

i was cycling home earlier when i noticed the steering on my carrera vengeance seemed abit off, it was like it was stiffer than usual. i lifted the bike off the ground and found the turning was still stiff, not majorly just alittle bit. now to the stupid part...... When i got home i turned the bike upside down and fired a jet washer up the hole on the bottom where the fork is just incase there was lots of dirt up there, well now the handlebars are not stiff but when turning the handlebars i get a click and maybe a little bit of grinding which feels and sounds like its coming from the cartridge headset. the sounds literally came 2 mins after jetwashing it, maybe its still wet? any advice?

thank you

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Sounds like the jetwash has washed out the grease from the headset bearings. They will now most likely rust and cause more problems if you don't get the headset apart, clean, and regrease. There's a lesson to be learned here!

The original problem sounds like your top cap bolt is too tight. To resolve it, loosen both the side bolts on the stem then loosen off the bolt on top about 1/4 turn. You want the headset to be loose enough to steer with no resistance but tight enough so that there is no play.
  • jon3619
    why would it suddenly happen though? i have had the bike for 4 years with no problems. how would i take apart the headset? can you do it without taking everything apart? would it be easier taking it to a professional
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    You need new headset bearings. That is why your steering went stiff.you will not have done any further damage with the jet washer.
    Look on u tube to see how its done.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spraying where you did won't have got anywhere near the bearings, in fact it goes nowhere except the underside of the top cap.

Why on earth you thought a jet wash was a good idea sprayed anywhere though is beyond me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jon3619
    Have an update, so i take it to a repair shop, they had alot of trouble trying to get the fork out of the frame to access the bearings as there was alot of rust? he then gave the bearing a clean and applied grease. the sound of clicking and rubbing is about 20% of what it originally was but he still suggested i get my headset changed within the next few months.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's what you do with a fubared headset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not unusual for forks with a steel steerer to have rusted a bit and they can be a pain to then remove.

With regular TLC even cheap loose headset bearings last a long time, without they don't!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.