Two sets of wheels for £1k

Miles253
Miles253 Posts: 535
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello guys

I am about to pull the trigger on a Canyon Ultimate CF SL Aero, which comes spec'd with Cosmic Carbon SLE wheels. It might seem ridiculous, but i think i will sell them on and use the money, likely around a grand to fund two more modern wheelsets. Wider, more aero yada yada.

I would like a shallow climbing set, around 1450g would be nice, lighter would be nicer, and a deeper 38-50mm tubular set for race days and TTs. Would like both to be as wide as possible, as i'll use 25mm tyres, and i'm buying into the trend of wider is better.

I would like to think i could secure both of these for around a grand, with propensity for maybe another £200 on top, where is my money best spent? Is that a workable budget? Would like some thoughts.

75kg rider, 6ft 3" want to do alpine holidays, crits and TTs

Thanks all
Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wheelsmith tubs and DA C24s (or RS81 C24s if budget doesn't allow)? Maybe something stiffer if you want to do crits. I'd get the tubs with the hub of your choice and go up the Fulcrum range until you run out of money (not sure if they are wider rims though, I think they are starting to)
  • Miles253
    coriordan wrote:
    Wheelsmith tubs and DA C24s (or RS81 C24s if budget doesn't allow)? Maybe something stiffer if you want to do crits. I'd get the tubs with the hub of your choice and go up the Fulcrum range until you run out of money (not sure if they are wider rims though, I think they are starting to)

I think the Fulcrum Campag wheels are still narrow profile rims, except perhaps the Zero Night and Shamal Mille, which are pretty pricey.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maybe archetypes on superlight nova tech hubs? To be honest I am not sure which factory wheels are wide rimmed
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    What makes you think you will make a grand by selling the Cosmic SLE?

On a new wheelset with no warranty, you will be lucky to make 60-70% of the lowest price you can buy them at on the web...

I would keep them and get something inexpensive for when carbon is OTT.

Archetype on Ultegra, for instance
    left the forum March 2023
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Keep 'em; they look far better than most handbuilt wheels... :twisted:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I've slowly been changing my outlook on light wheelsets. For climbing I'd much rather have something super stiff than super light. I had a set of RZR 46 Teams (probably the stiffest wheel on the market and sub 1200g) but am now riding Reynolds Aero 72 wheels which are 500g heavier and quite frankly I prefer them.

Were I in your shoes I would build up something like Pacenti SL23's on DA9000 hubs and get a cheap set of carbon tubs off eBay for racing.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Miles253
    Keeping them, for the time being is going to be financially challenging, as i would need another set of wheels for less than perfect days and the Alps in July, which i have been assured is not the place for carbon clinchers.

Carbon ebay tubs are a pretty good shout actually, cheapish, functional, do you know if they can be had with wide rims?

@Grill What should i be looking to pay for a Pacenti on Dura Ace, Looks like about £700 on Strada! Seems expensive...
  • Grill
    Yup. For £200-£300 you're spoiled for choice in the 38-50mm deep and 23-25mm wide range.
  • Miles253
    Grill wrote:
    Yup. For £200-£300 you're spoiled for choice in the 38-50mm deep and 23-25mm wide range.

Don't suppose while you're there you would know of a decent seller?

@Ugo The wheels seem to go from 1100-1200 new, perhaps 800-900 is more reasonable?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Miles253 wrote:
    perhaps 800-900 is more reasonable?

If you find someone who gives you 8-900, then good for you...

I am not sure what you worry about, the SLE are carbon + aluminium rims, they will be absolutely fine in the alps. In fact the exalith treatment gives a rather grabby brake track, if a bit noisy
  • Miles253
    Miles253 wrote:
    perhaps 800-900 is more reasonable?

If you find someone who gives you 8-900, then good for you...

I am not sure what you worry about, the SLE are carbon + aluminium rims, they will be absolutely fine in the alps. In fact the exalith treatment gives a rather grabby brake track, if a bit noisy

I am sure ive seen numerous posts from you regarding the de-lamination of carbon clinchers?
  • Grill
    They're not carbon clinchers, they're aluminium clinchers with a carbon fairing.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Miles253 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Don't suppose while you're there you would know of a decent seller?

@Ugo The wheels seem to go from 1100-1200 new, perhaps 800-900 is more reasonable?

Steer clear of ebay wheels. If you want cheap carbon, then I'd take my chances with Chinese carbon and Farsports or Yoeleo.

Also, PBK have the Carbone SLEs for £960 brand new. Only an idiot would pay £800 for them with no warrantee. Still, you may find an idiot willing to pay it...
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Stiff and light? These are a good bet for handbuilts. I've got something similar and they're very good for the price:

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... from-1435g
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Miles253 wrote:
    the Alps in July, which i have been assured is not the place for carbon clinchers.

Nonsense. If you brake correctly and don't drag them for the entire descent, you'll be more than fine on carbon clinchers.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Zuus now do a 38mm deep, 23mm wide set.

http://www.zuus.co.uk/

Interestingly, they seem to have listened to the "constructive", comments on here and offered all their wheelsets now with removable decals!

FWIW, I really rate the 60mm clinchers I have- roll really well and dont tug much at all in strong crosswinds.

And they offer a years warranty UK based which is slightly more favourable than having to send a pair back to China etc...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Miles253 wrote:
    I am sure ive seen numerous posts from you regarding the de-lamination of carbon clinchers?

I think you are very confused, read the information on the Mavic website, about the SLE
  • Miles253
    Miles253 wrote:

I think you are very confused, read the information on the Mavic website, about the SLE

I am very confused, i didn't realise they were a alu-carbon clincher

Zuus wheels look pretty good, definitely worth a look, anybody rate Soul wheels? Do a nice light alu clincher
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Miles253 wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:

I am very confused, i didn't realise they were a alu-carbon clincher

Zuus wheels look pretty good, definitely worth a look, anybody rate Soul wheels? Do a nice light alu clincher
    I have the Soul S3.0. Got them two years ago and have been happy with them. I think they cost me about £350.They were in my perception a nice upgrade from my Fulcrum R5. 23mm wide rim definitely is a nicer ride. The only issue I have with them is they don't like the wet. I think the hubs aren't that well weather sealed. Mine has been on the turbo all winter and I am taking it to the LBS tomorrow to fit new bearings. The bearing aren't shot but you are advised to change after 5000km. I did an unboxing review when I got them.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12923918
  • Miles253
    Very good write up, shame to hear about the hubs, that might be a turn off for me. They would be an wet race day wheel, probably.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Miles253 wrote:
    Very good write up, shame to hear about the hubs, that might be a turn off for me. They would be an wet race day wheel, probably.

I am not sure why you want to sell a do it all set of Mavic to buy a pair or two of rebadged Chinese wheels.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Would it be worth trying to change your order from the 9.0 Aero to the 9.0 if you don't want the Cosmics? Would save you £500 and means you wouldn't have to sell a set.

You could use the Ksyrium Elites for climbing and then use the £500 for some tubs.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Alex222 wrote:
    Would it be worth trying to change your order from the 9.0 Aero to the 9.0 if you don't want the Cosmics? Would save you £500 and means you wouldn't have to sell a set.

You could use the Ksyrium Elites for climbing and then use the £500 for some tubs.

And most likely the bike doesn't look ridiculous...

BTW: I was in Belgium for the spring classics season and the orange Katyusha Canyon really looks awesome in the flesh... :shock:

... while the Team Sky Pinarello looks pretty average
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    You can get the Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite for under £700 from Europe due to the strong pound, I have a set on the way from Bike24. A set of those, a pair of GP4000s II, multipack of tubes and some Lizard Skins 3.2mm bar tape cost me €1070, which was £770 converted. The wheels were £694, which is about 100 quid cheaper than anywhere in the UK and would leave you enough to get some Chinese tubs for racing.
  • Miles253
    @Alex222, this is probably a very sensible suggestion, I was a little bit blinding by the sponsorhsip deals (Takes the AERO down to 2320) ill maybe just stick with the 9.0

@NovernRob If i was to go factory, i would certainly be looking at the Fulcrums or Campags, then there is also the c24, not sure if factory is the way forward for me yet.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Miles253 wrote:
    @Alex222, this is probably a very sensible suggestion, I was a little bit blinding by the sponsorhsip deals (Takes the AERO down to 2320) ill maybe just stick with the 9.0

@NovernRob If i was to go factory, i would certainly be looking at the Fulcrums or Campags, then there is also the c24, not sure if factory is the way forward for me yet.

My Fulcrum Nites arrived today, they look bloody awesome! Best looking wheels I've had by a mile (last 3 sets have been Planet X 52mm carbon clinchers, RS81 C24's and Zipp 202 tubs). As long as they perform well too I'll be well happy.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Miles253 wrote:
    Follow up to my hub issue. Just picked up the wheels from the LBS. They have replaced the bearings as I asked but said to be honest they didnt really need doing. They added a bit of waterproof grease. The guy said he was actually pretty impressed with the wheel. Looking forward to getting out on them again.
  • Miles253
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:

My Fulcrum Nites arrived today, they look bloody awesome! Best looking wheels I've had by a mile (last 3 sets have been Planet X 52mm carbon clinchers, RS81 C24's and Zipp 202 tubs). As long as they perform well too I'll be well happy.

Ive got Shamals on my current bike, older style granted, but they are great wheels