SuperStar Components

dominik379
dominik379 Posts: 22
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Just ordered a SuperStar DHX Rim and Switch Front Hub

Obviously prices are good but I'm wondering if anyone has had any reviews or had these products before or dealt with SSC?

Thanks

Dom

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Good company.
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    Just bought grips and brake pads from them, but quick delivery and good service. Friends have had similar experiences.
  • it's cost £50 for a hub and a rim and its going to cost £10 to get the wheel laced from my mate at my local bike store so for £60 for a front wheel build isn't too bad, I've just heard mixed reviews on the bearings in the hubs as standard and that people have upgraded to SKF's

and I can't seem to source these bearings or I'm looking in the wrong area haha
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Always buy my brake pads from them. Bought my cassette removal tool from them too, ridiculously cheap, good quality and didn't want one back when they sent me two!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Never had any issues with them or the harbio in the envelopes or boxes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bearings in the Novatec supplied hubs aren't the best, but many people get 2-3 years use out of them, a full set of quality replacements is only about £15 so it's not exactly expensive.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Wheel builds are a little hit and miss but it's only spoke tension so easily sorted and I would still happily buy more. I've had various other parts ike tools, brake pads and chainrings without any problems.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Good service. Hubs are cheap for a reason. Most other parts are great.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have bought 3 sets of SS wheels. First 2 sets were perfect and are now on friends bikes. 3rd set I have had problems with the freehub pawl teeth cracking on the SS Tesla hub twice. SS have offered to replace the Tesla hub with a DT Swiss hub which seems pretty good to me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • just received my hub today and at first glance it looks nice! just waiting for the Rim to arrive then lacing it up1 and then that will be the true test

they've been quite good as well with emailing me back when I've emailed them swell

no complaints so far and they're UK company :)
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I've got their Carbon AM wheels and I've also bought two sets of pedals and various other bits and bobs off them. Excellent service, very accommodating when it came to sorting me out under unusual circumstances over the wheels, and all the kit is just fab! I certainly can't say as much for some other companies I've bought kit off. I'll definitely buy off SS again.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    dominik379 wrote:
    it's cost £50 for a hub and a rim and its going to cost £10 to get the wheel laced from my mate at my local bike store so for £60 for a front wheel build isn't too bad, I've just heard mixed reviews on the bearings in the hubs as standard and that people have upgraded to SKF's

and I can't seem to source these bearings or I'm looking in the wrong area haha

If you've just bought them you may have SKF bearings in them depending on weather you got Switch Evo or Switch Ultra.
  • i got the Switch Ultra :)
  • Sorry Evo*
  • Infact i ordered an Evo and they sent me Switch Ultra!!

Mistake on SSC side but I'm not complaining