folding trail tools

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'd like to improve/alter a few sections of trail near me (these aren't bridleway/footpaths or actual mtb trails just tracks through the woods that dont seem to get used much). In the past I've seen folding trail tools that could be used to do some mild alterations. However now I can only find really expensive ones which I wouldn't buy or super cheap (£10) ebay camping specials.
Has anyone used the cheapo ones and do they actually work or just crumple when meeting resistance? Any recommendations for other options? Just something I can chuck in a back pack and ride to the locations. mostly I will just be cutting back vegation and clearing fallen branches with a little bit of digging here and there.

Comments

• Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Military surplus trenching tools... get a proper (NATO std or Swedish Army) one and you'll be sorted for life.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Would it be worth getting a cheap shovel, some secetures, and a cheap hand saw, lug it out there once and hide/partially bury them.

Then you can do a little bit each time you go past.

A sturdy set of lockable secuters are good for vegetation up to a centimeter thick, more if they are decent quality with some elbow grease,and can be easily carried around.

A lot depends an exactly what kind of alterations are needed.

Maybe search for gardening tools rather than 'trail tools' or military spec trench digging tools, seems a bit overkill, don't over think the issue! :-)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Make sure you have permission to do this, dont want to be annoying the land owners
  • Ferrals
    Cheers, military surplus is a good idea. Marty, it's more a case of the odd bit here and there, hence just something I can take with would be useful
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    We use a folding pruning saw and one of these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-Foldi ... 58a2a90bd6

Thought the shovel wouldn't last long but so far so good as we have used it a lot, all fit in a back pack really easily.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers I was looking at that but thought it was flimsy so decided to give it a miss! good to know its ok.