26" frame only - where to buy?

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
I've recently came to the conclusion that I've outgrown my 17.5" orbea frame so I'm in the market for a new/secondhand frame. I doubt anybody is going to buy a secondhand 26" racebike these days so it looks like I'm going to turn it into a training/play bike and get a new 29er over the summer for racing!

I've been trawling eBay and the classifieds the last while and can't find any frame only deals anywhere that I would like. Ideally, I'm after a 19"/20" carbon or light aluminium frame for £250-350 - I don't mind whether its a full suss or hardtail.

Is there anything out there that I may have not looked at? Nowhere really seems to sell new frames anymore, and all the good second hand frames are gone!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hey Adam, what sort of weight is lightweight?

My 2006 Carrera frame (16") was 1735g so the same age 20" is going to be circa 1875g, the later ones (31.6mm seatpost) are quite a bit heavier

A used one-one Scandal is a good option, they are circa 1300g

Or get a lightweight FS frame similar to mine (link in sig) SantaCruz Superlight are fairly light, or a Kona Hei-Hei Supreme is ridiculously light (sub 2Kg).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    I'd be happy with under 2kg - light enough that I can still race it! There just really doesn't seem to be very many, good, used, frames out there at the moment!

On-one/planetx are only really selling steel 26" frames at the moment- not for me!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Chinese carbon?

Edit: $348, 1175g
  • Greer_
    I'm not totally convinced on buying frames from China ... I know carbon is strong enough (I've crashed enough to learn that!) but it all depends on the quality of it - not sure I'd risk it njee!
  • njee20
    You're buying from a reputable brand - Flyxii actually sell via Amazon.co.uk, just not 26" frames, as the market's so small. It's just a brand based in China.
  • Greer_
    Hmm, at least amazon would bypass the custom fees! Any idea how much they'd be if I got one imported?
  • The Rookie
    Depends on what value they put for customs purposes, many Chinese companies are used to being 'helpful'!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    I was recently in a similar position, I had a Carbonal (Chinese Carbon) Frame, it developed a crack on the non drive side Chainstay, Carbonal were very good and despite it being out of warrantee (over 2 years old) they offered a replacement for a very reasonable price, however the frame I had was discontinued so the replacement was heavier and had external cable routing.
    I Had recently bough some new wheels, and the fork was pretty new, so I decided to see what 26" frames were available, Storck still have quite afew (although slightly over the £350 limit) in the end my LBS were able to source a Brand new 26" Scott Scale frame from the distributor (£1300 down to £550),so it may well be worth you speaking with your LBS to see what frames are out there.

I will add, had the origanl Carbonal frame been available, I would have gladly bought it again.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd say planet x too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Greer_
    I'm still not convinced on the chinese carbon frames if I'm honest - I have taken a good look at them. The orbea frame I have, is going on 6 years old without a single issue so I'd quite like to keep it to brands I know.

I actually have my eye on a giant xtc alliance at the moment .... 8) its old, but I know its good quality!

Again, planetx/on-one don't have any carbon/aluminium 26" frames - only steel. There is one long travel (140mm) carbon frame but that won't really work here. A carbon whippet would've been perfect had they still been making them!
  • The Rookie
    Carbon 456 http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=98088

I'd still strongly consider a 20" Carrera frame, sub 1.9kg and cheap as chips, just get the 27.2mm seatpost frame as it's lighter than the later 31.6 which is lighter still than the latest one with the top/seat tube bridge.
  • njee20
    Greer_ wrote:
    I actually have my eye on a giant xtc alliance at the moment .... 8) its old, but I know its good quality!

No, you perceive it to be good quality, you don't actually know!
  • Greer_
    njee20 wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:

No, you perceive it to be good quality, you don't actually know!

Fair point :lol: but i've compared the geometries and its now bought! (and it was cheaper than those quality chinese carbon frames!) Now I just need to wait for it to arrive so I can put off the exam revision even more!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    In fairness I think Giant make some good quality alu frames in my experience.

Are you sure the 456 carbon isn't 26inch though? Specs seems to suggest it is: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOC456E/o ... -evo-frame
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • njee20
    It is, I think the OP was inferring that it's the 140mm travel bike they do. Indeed whilst it is 'designed' around a 4, 5 or 6" travel fork by all accounts it's quite unpleasant with a 4" travel fork! Wouldn't be my choice for a racy frame certainly.
    Fair point :lol: but i've compared the geometries and its now bought! (and it was cheaper than those quality chinese carbon frames!) Now I just need to wait for it to arrive so I can put off the exam revision even more!

Very good! I never said anything about the quality of Chinese frames, and couldn't vouch for any other than the specific one I owned, which was excellent, was merely observing the faith people put in a decal on the downtube!

Giant, of course, do make excellent frames, but that's not to say that because it says Giant on it every individual frame is 'quality', whatever that means!

Sure your Alliance will be very good though!
  • Greer_
    Haha cheers! I know exactly what you mean!
  • kester
    kester Posts: 79
    Don't know whether you've seen these, but found these two on bike-discount.de both are aluminium frames and 20" frame size and both are cheap as chips! Dunno what write ups the two frames get though so they could be cack!

Cube - Attention http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube ... wg_id-8669 £67.35

Cube - Analog http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube ... wg_id-8669 £74.97
  • Greer_
    kester wrote:
    Don't know whether you've seen these, but found these two on bike-discount.de both are aluminium frames and 20" frame size and both are cheap as chips! Dunno what write ups the two frames get though so they could be cack!

Cube - Attention http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube ... wg_id-8669 £67.35

Cube - Analog http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube ... wg_id-8669 £74.97

Cheers, I had actually spotted them! :lol: the headtube was too long on them for my forks though!
  • The Rookie
    Would love to know what the alliance frame weighs.....
  • Greer_
    The Rookie wrote:

1658g including a gxp bottom bracket and headset - so probably less than 1500g :D will get it built up tonight hopefully! There's a few chips in the lacquer and you can see the bare carbon fibre so I'm just going to paint over it with clear nail varnish unless anyone has a better idea? I just don't want to leave it exposed!
  • The Rookie
    Greer_ wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

1658g including a gxp bottom bracket and headset - so probably less than 1500g :D will get it built up tonight hopefully! There's a few chips in the lacquer and you can see the bare carbon fibre so I'm just going to paint over it with clear nail varnish unless anyone has a better idea? I just don't want to leave it exposed!
    Yup, probably mid 1400's so not at all bad!

I wouldn't use nail varnish as you risk the acetone being trapped in the carbon fibres as it 'dries', I'd use an epoxy resin applied thinly.