Condor Fratello - upgrade or replace?

the_hundredth_idiot
the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I’ve got an itch which needs scratching and not sure if my money is better spent on upgrading the bike or buying a new one. (I have the space for N+1 but fear it might breach S-1. In fact, I think I’m already at S but that will be resolved when I get rid of my second retro MTB project.)

I have a Condor Fratello, bought new by me in approx. 2008. For the first four years it was used for commuting duties and occasional longer rides. Since I moved to the country, it has been little used due to other commitments. However, I’m now getting back into cycling for fun – going out for a couple of hours at a time in the South Downs where I now live. I’m also doing an 80 mile Sportive in May.

The Fratello has Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed with Vento G3 wheels. I’m wondering if it makes sense to upgrade the wheels (and lose the mudguards) and, with a good service, have a bike which will hold its own against my cycling mates’ carbon lightweights. Alternatively, I could spend £1,000-£1,500 on a new bike – I keep getting emails from Cycle Surgery about an Orbea that’s on sale at £1,099.

I have no other road bike (other bikes are a retro MTB, a Brompton and a fixie conversion). So I have my cycling to and from the park with the kids sorted; and I have my commute sorted – this is more about sportive style riding.

Any thought or tips? E.g. sensible wheel upgrades.

Cheers
Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    It depends what you feel like going really. The fratello looks like a lovely bike, and there's nothing wrong with 10 speed veloce (or even mudguards for that matter!) For riding on club rides and with friends then a quality steel bike with mudguards is perfectly fine- two of my old club mates had steel bikes with guards on (one looked very similar to yours) and both would still toast virtually anyone on a climb, and one of them even took it on time trials and still did very well.
    A featherweight carbon machine won't make you much faster, although obviously you can have the better stiffness and more immediate acceleration, and the psycological impact can't be underestimated either, and could be worthwhile if it encourages you to actually get out and ride more. As the evenings get lighter (and warmer!) you should get more opportunities to put in a few extra miles here and there.

However, if you are just getting back to fitness etc I would probably just stick with the Fratello for now. As for wheel upgrades, the Kyserium Elites from germany are a bargain at the moment and are light and stiff. Slightly cheaper but also very good are the Shimano Ultegra wheels which are also a bargain for their price, but to be fair the Vento g3 wheels seem pretty decent as they are.

Good luck!
  • If the Fratello fits you well and you are comfortable riding it, then I would just crack on and ride it. A bike that fits you well is more important than carbon bling. If you are handy with maintenance, then some new cables, bar tape and a general service will have it feeling like a new bike (well, almost). I like the steel Condor bike and would be quite happy with a fratello or accaio.
  • Thanks, both. I've booked the Fratello in for a full service - should come back looking and feeling like a new bike. (I would service it myself but I don't have all the Campag tools, and I have a nasty habit of not finishing it - I still have one of my kids' bikes in pieces in the shed waiting for a free day to put it back together.)

I guess I've just got an itch to spend some money. I'll see what they say at the service - maybe if my wheels are worn, that might just be the excuse I need! Where is the bargain German place for the Kysrium Elites you mentioned?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.