Rockshox Pike 454 fork air pressure

Peanut651
Peanut651 Posts: 59
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know the max air pressure for this fork? It's the 454 dual air with 110-140mm Uturn and compression adjustment. I find it's still a tad soft and I have it pumped up to 200psi in both + and - chambers. I don't like messing with the compression on the right leg because I like it as a lockout feature for commuting then I open it up when I'm out riding properly.

I've recently just dug them out of storage after my retro Marzocchi forks completely gave up on me. I'm using them on my hardtail, an Identiti Dr Jekyll. I've also had them "pushed" a few years ago and they still feel great, I just can't remember how to set them up properly lol.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don;t like setting my forks to the correct sag, I find it a useless way to set them up.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's the right way though.

You could look on the RS tech docs on Sram website.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try a lower negative pressure, no reason for it to be the same and it will pull it down in the early part of the travel quite markedly.

Increasing both at the same time means you have little effect on sag as they are fighting each other, you just make it stiffer further into the travel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Peanut651
    Peanut651 Posts: 59
    Thanks both. I also rung TFTuned who pushed the forks a few years ago. Booked them in for a service since they have been sitting for so long and they said they will see what they can do about adjusting the dampening for my increase in weight, or something like that anyway.

for now I've dropped the - chamber to 190psi and + is at 200. Feels slightly better but I found when I decreased the - pressure even more that they topped out pretty rough.
    cooldad wrote:
    It's the right way though.

You could look on the RS tech docs on Sram website.

I know it's the "right" way, but I prefer my forks a bit stiffer than what they are with the correct sag.