DA 9000 feedback

53/39alltheway
53/39alltheway Posts: 44
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
In the market for a bike this year, current top of the list is the 2014 Scott Foil team issue, I managed to get a look at one recently and was a bit let down with the look/build of the DA9000, I have 7900 at the moment and it is a lot better looking and seems better built (to me anyway) function wise the 9000 was faultless though.

I have always had some incarnation of DA on my best bike going back to 8 speed and there was always quite a distinction in finish and build quality between the Shimano groups, the new DA and Ultegra look very similar to me, obviously done to save on production costs, I did notice a bit more titanium hardware on the 9000 though (bolts and fixings), does anyone have any experience on the 9000 longterm or a 7900/9000 comparison would be helpful.
Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000

Comments

• ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Don't really get where you are coming from on this one. DA9000 is sleek and beautifully designed.
  • Cheers for the reply, its obviously a personal thing, not got an issue with the design, I just don't think its finished or built as well as the previous version, take the rear mechs for example, the 9000 looks cheap when compared side by side with the 7900 mech.

It may still win me over though, the complete bike looks and rides very well, really taken with it.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    DA9000 is a stunning piece of kit, to me it looks nicer than ultegra. Performance wise it's pretty close but thats be the way for a while.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    They look pretty similar to me except 9000 is black as opposed to grey. I'll happily trade you any 7900 components for 9000 if it bothers you.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2015
    i have both 7900 and 9000.

Im the opposite. I think the design and matt finish of 7900 with gunmetal tones is very cheap looking. It didn't say top tier groupset at all. It didnt look too far off Ultegra 6700. Obviously done to save on production costs :)

9000 has more style. The shiny gloss look of 9000 is very well done and looks more of a premium group. Give it a polish and you will know. The oily gloss levers look amazing in direct sunlight. Shimano clearly put alot of work into the finish,look and design of the whole group. I really like it.

Everything has been totally re-designed from scratch and is better thought out for 9000. i like the way the
    brake lever curves towards the fingers. It feels more natural for both braking and shifting. My fingers become less fatigued on steep decents. I can apply more power to the brakes with less effort its very noticeable for me.

The brake calipers are smooth as silk and have a very clever design. 7900's were good too.

The new longer FD arm is also worthy of praise. A big improvement over 7900 or any other FD before that, easily as good as Di2. The new trim function not so much. :evil:

I think the construction of the 9000 shifters feels more solid. The lever swing and pivot feels better engineered. The down click lever is alot less flimsy.

DA9000 shifting feels precise every shift. Not too far off Di2 (which i sold because i think 9000 is better value)

The shifting on 7900 was OK, nothing amazing for what is should have been. I had too constantly re-adjust mine. My brand new 7900 RD had noticible play in the pivots, was it normal ? maybe had a defective RD ? My 9000 pivots are solid with no play whatsoever. i've never needed to re-adjust it once it set up.

Other small improvments are
    Less lever swing needed to shift.
    Less effort needed to shift. Combined with Powercordz synthetic cables. The shift feels incredibly light.
    Threading cables is easier.
    The lever clamp bolt is easier to reach and adjust.

Im quite impressed with DA9000 overall. Shimano definitely upped their game. i hope the next group is even better. Saying that 9000 still isnt perfect. The hoods are too thin and not as comfy as 7900. Its noticable for me on bumpy decents. Quality padded gloves do help.

If you spend some more time on 9000 i guarantee it will win you over.
  • Thanks for that, nice to get a 7900/9000 comparison, will more than likely go for the bike, I'm sure the 9000 will win me over.