Hope Pro 2 Evo- Remove play?

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Afternoon all, I've a pair of Hope Pro 2 Evos and just noticed that theres some play in the rear hub, how do I go about removing it? I've always had Campag wheels in the past with the collar under the dust cap, but I assume these aren't the same.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    There shoudn't be play, so assuming both the press-fit caps are tight in place, then you have at least one worn bearing
    left the forum March 2023
  • There shoudn't be play, so assuming both the press-fit caps are tight in place, then you have at least one worn bearing

New set of bearings then and a search for a bike shop that'll fit them? Great days. I've only had them 10 months n'all.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ugo.santalucia
    There shoudn't be play, so assuming both the press-fit caps are tight in place, then you have at least one worn bearing

New set of bearings then and a search for a bike shop that'll fit them? Great days. I've only had them 10 months n'all.

You can't moan if you don't even know if you need new bearings and how many. Most likely it's only one.
    You probably used it a lot or left it wet in the cold
  • Damn me riding my bikes.

I am little disgruntled, if you'll pardon the pun, as the rear wheel of that set has been nothing but trouble since Hope boxed it up wrong and sent me the wrong freehub. It's lost all the tension on the non-drive side twice, had 2 broken spokes and now this. I bought them as a set of "fit and forget" wheels to be my only set for a year or so as we were a bit skint and I'd sold all my nice stuff.

@gietvangent
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

No need to involve your LBS if you're remotely competent at tinkering.

Just peruse the attached video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOEc0Jrz9A
  • ugo.santalucia
    Damn me riding my bikes.

I am little disgruntled, if you'll pardon the pun, as the rear wheel of that set has been nothing but trouble since Hope boxed it up wrong and sent me the wrong freehub. It's lost all the tension on the non-drive side twice, had 2 broken spokes and now this. I bought them as a set of "fit and forget" wheels to be my only set for a year or so as we were a bit skint and I'd sold all my nice stuff.

A bad build, something Hope is not immune from... they outsource the builds and as a result the quality is inconsistent
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Damn me riding my bikes.

A bad build, something Hope is not immune from... they outsource the builds and as a result the quality is inconsistent

Do they? I was under the impression that Hope's wheels are machine built at their plant using bespoke machines.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}