Gels with Caffeine

Alpina007
Alpina007 Posts: 106
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Anyone have a good source that supplies at a better price then Wiggle et al?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Jesus, do people really eat that crap? :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • naylor343
    naylor343 Posts: 61
    Had some good deals in the past from discount supplements on various stuff. Word of warning, tick the ' no emails' box, unless you like filling up your trash daily.
  • Alpina007
    naylor343 wrote:
    Had some good deals in the past from discount supplements on various stuff. Word of warning, tick the ' no emails' box, unless you like filling up your trash daily.

Cheers
  • Jesus, do people really eat that crap? :shock:

Never underestimate a Sportive riders needs
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

On a very few rare occasions, yes. :oops:
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653

It's great if you're constipated. Clears you right out!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851

Once.

Never again unless an emergency.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Yeah I tried one the other day to see what all the fuss was-absolutely vile, worse than I could ever have imagined, however my speed did pick up a bit.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I can recommend Clif double espresso shot gels when desperate. The ones the Sky team consume (CNP) are revolting and I wonder if what they have can possibly be the same as the ones Ive tried. I only eat gels in emergencies. Torq Rhubarb and Custard are OK but no caffeine.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I bought a couple of boxes of gels ages ago, hardly used them. I did eat a few gels in 2013 during Ride London-Surrey 100 during the latter stages when they were being handed out roadside but my stomach could only take so much. Great in an emergency or for racing perhaps but I'd rather stick with proper food (little and often)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bing gordon
    bing gordon Posts: 662
    I prefer a little scoop of TRI CARB in any let down juice I prefer for that day then carry a couple of caffeine tabs just incase
  • Alpina007
    Didn't ask if you liked them! Bunch of old wifies!!!! :))
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Didn't ask if you liked them! Bunch of old wifies!!!! :))
    Sorry! U need a good cheap source? Try the dustbins behind a bike shop somewhere when they they throw out the out-of-date ones.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    They are awesome, love them.

I always keep an eye out for the Zipvit offers and then stock up with a couple of boxes.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I have zero problems with gels (stomach-wise). I use them when warming up for races, and when actually racing. This is the only time I use them now. All other rides I use bars. I just started using the ZipVit (Cola) caffeine gels. I do like them (as gels go).

As my coach would say: gels for racing only. Food for training.

If you're in the middle of a race, gels are the only way to go for me. Sorry if this goes against some people's sensibilities. :)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Got a few for emergencies - must check the sell-by, they've been sitting around for a while (alps last year)!

Most palatable are the Zipvit Espresso ones - like cold coffee. There are usually zipvit offers knocking about - check their online shop.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Use them for long distance running, but prefer "proper" food for cycling. Only ever use SIS as most other brands I've tried have been disgusting.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Use them for long distance running, but prefer "proper" food for cycling. Only ever use SIS as most other brands I've tried have been disgusting.

Same here. I'm fine without eating up to half marathon distance, but anything longer and these things are very handy. Easy to get down without too much fuss or risk of choking to death!

I'm surprised at the scorn, caffeine is one of the few legal drugs that shows a consistent and appreciable performance enhancing effect across a range of athletics abilities. I can't think when I'd use them cycling but given the amount of money people waste on bikes, wheels and clothing that may more may not improve performance, I'd say a couple of pounds to stoke the engine is worth a shout if you're counting the seconds.