50/34 upfront. Should I go 12-28 or 11-28 rear

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a defy 1 (10 speed) and my chain and cassette need replacing. Currently have 12-28 on the rear. Is there any benefit to going with 11-28? Will I lose anything by doing this or should I stick with 12-28?

Comments

• Suppose it depends on your riding style, you are probably not going to use the 11 on the flat so it only really comes in to play when descending, if you find yourself spinning out on descents then it may well be worth going for it. Personally I notice very little difference between the 11 on one bike and the 12 on the other. I just stop pedalling when I spin out.
  • Similarly how often do you use the 28? May be worth going 11-26
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    11 is complete useless, swap it for a useful cog.
  • I don't pretend to be anything like Chris Hoy on a bike, my Felt had a 14-28 Ultegra fitted to it back in (2010?) to pair up with the original 50/34 chainrings, lots of one tooth steps to fine tune for a happy cadence on the local hilly terrain.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You're the best one to answer this.

How often do you get into 50-12 and find you need a higher gear.

Personally I have the same and the answer is never. But you may be different.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I never, ever use my 11t cog except by accident.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    I swapped out an 11 25 for a 12 27. Never missed the 11.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Echo that no need for an 11, 50-12 is plenty high enough.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    ended up going for 11-28 because there was an ultegra cassette on offer. If I'm replacing my 12-28 with 11-28, will I need to adjust my b-screw for the difference in the small cog?
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    Should be fine but check chain length with this...

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... hcalc.html
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why would you need to check chain length? Doubt you could lose 2 links with the 28 sprocket still on there.

Funny that the OP did not answer any of the usage questions.
    11-27 is quite a nice option (with 50/34) I find, but its all personal to use and fitness/ability.
  • markhewitt1978
    starbuck wrote:
    ended up going for 11-28 because there was an ultegra cassette on offer. If I'm replacing my 12-28 with 11-28, will I need to adjust my b-screw for the difference in the small cog?

No it should be a straight swap.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Carbonator wrote:
    Why would you need to check chain length? Doubt you could lose 2 links with the 28 sprocket still on there.

11-27 is quite a nice option (with 50/34) I find, but its all personal to use and fitness/ability.

Yepp, 11 speed 11-27 paired with 50/34 is a fantastic range that will suit most folks for the UK or the Alps...unfortunately the OP seems determined to buy a 52/36 [#scratches head].
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Coming down something like the Col de Femenia in Majorca, you can easily pedal out a 50-11, let alone a 50-12.

I struggled to keep up with some mates on 53-11's coming down there last year, simply because I couldn't pedal any faster (max cadence).
  • markhewitt1978
    Coming down something like the Col de Femenia in Majorca, you can easily pedal out a 50-11, let alone a 50-12.

I've cycled up there, man that was tough!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Yepp, 11 speed 11-27 paired with 50/34 is a fantastic range that will suit most folks for the UK or the Alps...unfortunately the OP seems determined to buy a 52/36 [#scratches head].

Where did he say that? Another thread?
    I like 52/36 but thinking a 12-28 might be good with that. Have seen a DA one, but not Ultegra.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Carbonator wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Where did he say that?

err, he didn't. I'm talking sh!te and not for the first time I'll have you know :oops: