Garmin virb elite recording problem

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm having issue's when recording with my new Garmin Virb Elite, for the 2nd time on the trot the dam thing stopped recording mid ride for no apparent reason the magically starts up again on it's own.

It's recording in 1080p and in 5min 57 second clips (871mb) but mid way through the 2nd clip it stops after roughly 30 seconds or so then suddenly starts up again an 1hr into the ride for the last half hour.
It has a new Samsung Memory 64GB Evo MicroSDXC UHS-I card , formatted in the virb and I checked it on the pc for errors but it's fine.

Am I missing something in the set up as it's all new to me the virb.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the speed/ map shows up on the first clips before it stops but when it starts back up an 1hr into the ride the speed / map disappears when playing back the video with virb elite software on the PC

Comments

• Does this happen when you are riding a bike or not?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Does this happen when you are riding a bike or not?

I'd set it recording and put it aside and see what happens. The maximum file size it records is 3.41Gb. You have got the card and battery sat correctly in the camera?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bing gordon
    Everything seems fine with the battery and card , both sat snug. And yes it does it when riding. I've had a mooch in settings , I was wondering , does it manually make the file size itself ? meaning 871mb - 5mins 57 seconds or can I alter this ?.
    Probably a good idea to let it record in the house and see what happens, I'll try that.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Latest firmware? Not seen any issues like that on mine, so hopefully fixable. As I think the other responders are alluding to, it might be vibration related if it's only when on the bike.
  • bing gordon
    After spending last night formatting and going over the settings I've just noticed that for some unknown reason the loop was set to on and 30minutes, would this cause the problem ?. Sorry for the nievity but its all new to me. I am trying to set it up with my garmin 810 and my mobile and garmin connect and get them all communicating so im finding it hard to get my head round all the sensors and bluetooths
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Sounds like you accidentally put loop mode on as you have the last 30 minutes of the ride. Could you have done that during the ride? That would explain why you have some of the start then just the last 30 minutes. I certainly find the menus confusing so maybe you hit something wrong?
  • bing gordon
    Hi, well if I did I don't remember but anyways it was the problem. I went out with the loop off and it recorded the whole ride in 28minute sections so I'm happy to go :).