Front derailleur not shifting.

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
After coming off the mtb today my Shimano Deore XT front derailleur won't shift up from the small chainring to the bigger chainring.

My first check was the SLX shifters, to see if the bottom shifter lever was bent up and catching on something. I've had this problem before when we found the bottom shift lever was bent upwards and catching on the upper shift lever, basically trying to change up and down at the same time! However this time the both shift levers move ok. But the tension feels kind of different every time I try them.

Any ideas ? Thanks.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's bent or moved?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So what actually happens? Does the lever move and engage the ratchet and it not shift the chain, or does the lever not work correctly?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Try oiling the pivots on the front mech. My road bike stopped shifting consistently and that sorted it after a bit of oil and a few quick shifts.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That usually affects shifting down (spring tension only) not up where the cable will pull it regardless of some friction.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The Rookie wrote:
    So what actually happens? Does the lever move and engage the ratchet and it not shift the chain, or does the lever not work correctly?

Sorry for the late reply, I got it fixed at a LBS this morning and then was out on the bike.

A closer look this morning found the derailleur wasn't moving at all despite what I did with the shifters. I suspected a snapped cable, I felt the plastic sheath by the handlebars and low and behold could feel nicks and kinks where the handlebars did a 180 during the crash and squished the cable. The LBS found the length of cable under the bottom bracket was just as bad, the strands had all splayed out like a bird cage.

The LBS did a cable swap and away I went. The mechanic said the internal routing in the downtube was a b*sterd. Thanks LBS.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby