Orange Five Sizing Help Please

Goldcol76
Goldcol76 Posts: 12
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I currently have a Trek Elite 8.6 hardtail at 18.5". However I have seen a Orange Five 650b for sale that I am really keen to buy. However I am unsure on the size. I am half a centimetre under 6ft.
Do you think it is too risky to buy.
The main differences I can see between my current bike and this one is standover, which I don't think will be an issue and the top tube. Mine currently is 590 and the orange is 570.

Any advice welcome, I am not sure if it will all make that much difference but the cost is £1400 so thought I would check
Thanks
Col

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    With a TT of 570 I would say that was a small frame built for me at 5' 5"
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forget the top tube length, it's the effective top tube length you need, adding on for any offset seatpost.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    On a bike like the Five I would expect a longer effective top tube than your Trek. Its a different type of bike and one which would benefit from a short stem.
    570mm top tube is short for someone who is 6'. Im only an inch taller and wouldnt go less than 610mm
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure I agree as it will also have wide bars which needs a shorter stem as your affective arm reach is reduced by running bars wider than your shoulders.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.