Ultegra 6700 wheels - correct spoke tension

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Does anyone know what the correct spoke tension is for the Shimano Ultegra 6700 wheel set? I've been searching online but haven't managed to find this info. As the wheels have a low spoke count, I'm expecting that usual rules of thumb do not apply.

I'm asking because I had a rear spoke go, causing the wheel to go massively out of alignment, to the point the wheel would not rotate in the frame and slightly damaging the frame in the process.

I've replaced the spoke and got the wheel true again, but I want to check all the rest of the spokes in the wheel. Currently I use the wheel as my turbo wheel, but would like to press it back into service when the weather improves.

I weigh 69Kg, if that makes any difference.

thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you don't have a gauge calibrated for Shimano spokes is guesswork... if the Shimano manuals don't help, then you probably need 1300 N on the drive side and whatever comes on the non drive side
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyeb
    If you don't have a gauge calibrated for Shimano spokes is guesswork... if the Shimano manuals don't help, then you probably need 1300 N on the drive side and whatever comes on the non drive side

Thanks for your help. I finally managed to track down the dealers PDF manual here: http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... 01-ENG.pdf

Which states the following tensions:

Front: 980-1400N
    Rear (sprocket) side: 1000-1600N
    Left side: 600-1100N

On my Park Tools TM-1 spoke tension meter, these values correspond to 98-160, which do indeed tally with the conversion table provided by Park Tools.

So your guestimate was bang on! :)
  • andyeb
    Finally - if I'm a lightish rider, would I be right in assuming I should go for low-end values to start with?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's a very wide range, aim for somewhere in the middle
    left the forum March 2023