how to check suspension

joesmaria
joesmaria Posts: 10
edited April 2015 in MTB beginners
I don't know if my front suspension is air or coils. Can someone help to distinguish them to see what I have? I appreciate all answers.
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If they are r air they will have Al least one air valve to allow you to adjust the pressure.but some cool sprung forks also use air in their set up.

So without knowing more about what you how accurate info can not be given.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joesmaria
    Thanks for this.
    my bike has two valves/knobs one for locking the suspension and the other that you turn up to a certain point and then it is as if it the knob you turn is in another knob that can come off. not sure if this is very well explained.
    I really appreciate this info.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Does one say preload? It's likely that if its air one will say air on it and removing it reveals the air valve. Pre load is likely coil
  • joesmaria
    It just has a positive and negative on each side of the knob with arrows indicating which way to turn them and the other just has a lock and unlock sign.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Coil then as that's the preload "+/-". An air fork sets the preload/pressure with a pump.
  • joesmaria
    Thank you
    just checking this is correct. my bike is a totem. not sure if it is a popular brand over there.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Is the fork a Rockshox Totem or is the bike a Totem?
  • joesmaria
    I know the bike is the brand totem. not sure what you meant by rockshox totem
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Knowing what forks your bike has would help somewhat.
    Totem as a bike brand is unknown. To me at least.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • joesmaria
    yeah I couldn't find much on it either, apparently its a brand that originates from portugese. I comes from somewhere around south Africa I think
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Is it one of these on this site?

http://www.totembikes.com.br/index.html

If so, let us know which model and we can maybe help a bit more.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    The side with the '+/-' could be a U-Turn or a rebound speed adjuster. U-Turn will adjust length of fork travel.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • joesmaria
    sorry I havn't on here for a bit. but just answering your question. Yes in looks it looks very similar to the Totem blazer but not in features. mine has disk brakes and looks slightly different but it is not the exact model. mine is the Totem Lycan. thanks for your help
  • joesmaria
    just answering beski question, the knob that has + and -, I have turned it and I think what it is doing is adjusting how soft the suspension is. so yes I think it is adjusting the travel length
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    As you adjust you will see the fork length alter if it's a U-Turn. Maybe a Rock Shox Tora?, It'll be a coil fork.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So we are still guessing as to what the fork it is.

Pictures would help greatly in providing you with the correct info rather than guesses.

Pics of what you have as adjustments and then clear accurate info can be given.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only picture I can find of a Totem Lycan shows a cheap Suntour fork, below the XC range (M3000 or similar) so it will have preload only, no travel adjust and no damping.

Maybe coil sprung or may be elastomer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joesmaria
    could you just send me a link of where you found that bike please.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nicklouse wrote:
    So we are still guessing as to what the fork it is.

Pictures would help greatly in providing you with the correct info rather than guesses.

Pics of what you have as adjustments and then clear accurate info can be given.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    joesmaria wrote:
    could you just send me a link of where you found that bike please.
    First hit on yahoo!

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussi ... 39259.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.