Cheap hydraulic disc brakes?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i have sold on my disc brakes and am now looking for another set, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I have seen these ones, and they look decent, and all the reviews i read are positive. Does anyone have any better recommendations? Im looking to spend £60 max (so £30 each end)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/magu ... -prod84590

Also, are these "universal"? As it doesnt give options for sides ("left - front" for example) like other brakes do.

Very budget, i know, but as long as the brake feels decent then im happy. Power isnt really a problem with any hydraulic disc brakes, as i wont be doing DH or anything that demands crazy power.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The magura levers are flip flop so they can be used either side.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Order some deores from bike-discount imo.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    cubedean wrote:

They will come set up the wrong way round from there but it is easy to swap without bleeding. +1 for Deores.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    TwellySmat wrote:
    cubedean wrote:

They will come set up the wrong way round from there but it is easy to swap without bleeding. +1 for Deores.

Indeed they will, but you can get away without bleeding if you can have a helper hold the hose upright.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    cubedean wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:
    cubedean wrote:

Indeed they will, but you can get away without bleeding if you can have a helper hold the hose upright.

+1. In fact you don't even need a helper, if I can manage to internally route my rear and shorten the hose without needing a bleed, after what you've done with your frame, swapping the hoses will be simple.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Got shimanos from CR clearance for £79 minus £10 off plus additional £5 promo code so something about £60 for front and rear plus rotors - can't complain!!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod129567
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Or maybe something a little different.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... lsrc=aw.ds

IIRC they finished second to SLX in a recent test and a £40 Possibly worth a punt.

Oh and they include 160mm rotors too.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Been looking around today a bit more and saw these: http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deo ... 62194.html Which should come set up the right way round, as its probably UK set up.

Those Clarks M2s sound like a great shout but im kinda weary about going for anything non-shimano now as my Hayes Strokers which were meant to be £75 an end (got them £20 an end) were quite poor. Worse than my Tektro Aurigas which i got 2nd hand and have been through horrendous conditions.

So i am torn between 3 brakes now. The deores, the Clarks, and the Maguras. I dont have enough money just yet, so i still have some time to think about it.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    The shimanos I got even if the go only in European set up (which suits me) it doesn't matter as they do not fully assembled / connected I. E. You have to connect hoses onto the levers, so you can easily swap them over. They fully bled and the hose is connected to caliper etc.

It was 20min job for me (I did hydraulic brakes on bike first time).

Chris
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I tried a friends bike with the Clarks surprisingly good to be honest an im using those Shimanos you linked. Between the two theres not much bar the price.
    Most brakes will need the hose shortening so good snips and a bleed kit. The Deores I got came with spare olives in them.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    +1 on Deore.

I was at bike park wales on Thursday.

My rear saint failed during the day, so borrowed my wife's deore.

I could barely notice the difference.

I weigh 15st and was happily drifting the bike with the deore.

The Saint has a slightly better lever feel, but not much in it. Frankly I am wondering why I spent £120 a brake, when the deore was only £30....

Bike discount is a good shop too.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?