Long question about 2 bikes and suspension........

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have 2 bikes a Giant Talon 27.5 0 (2015) and a Cube Analog Disc (2012).

The Giant has Fox Float EVO CTD, 100mm travel and the Cube Rock Shox XC 28, 100mm, Poploc.

Now both bikes suspension doesn't compare to my ex stolen bike with Dual air Rebas (loved the forks).

So I am wanting to do some upgrading on the cheap. I am wondering if.....

A) Buy some new Reba's and stick them on the Giant and if possible put the Fox's on to the cube even though they are 650b specific. (this would be the cheapest option I think)

B) Ditch both Forks and buy 2 new sets of forks

C)Send the Foxes on the Giant to MOJO for a tuning and purchase some rebas for the cube

I am wanting the Giant to be my HT for the trails and the Cube to do two duties, get her in to riding and commute to work for me. I have a spare set of rims so will lace them in slicks so no messing around changing duties. But the forks on the cube are rubbish, and the Foxes aren't that much better.

What option would be the better one? Both frames use 1-1/8th forks, that seem to be getting thin to buy new now.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    "lace them in slicks"? You lace a rim to the hub with spokes, not tyres to a rim, that's called 'fitting'!

The Fox Evo are the bottom of their range and not well received, Reba's are much better. Personally I'd sell both the ones you have and fit some Reba's to the talon and maybe some Epicon to the Cube.

The 27" fox may or may not have a longer A2C than the XC which will effect geometry a bit if it is longer.

If using two sets of wheels, don't forget you may have to re-centre the brake callipers and reindex the rear mech every time you swap, that may be more work than swapping tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks the rookie,

You made some points I didn't even consider like realigning calipers and re-indexing, there goes my plan for trying to reuse all of the parts I seem to be accumulating haha.

My opinion is the Reba's I had were the best I have had, so will look at getting some for the giant, was toying with the idea of getting the Foxes kashima coated and purchasing and installing the FIT cartridge myself. But for the price it is a no brainer to buy some Reba's.

The Foxes on the cube would be ideal, but as you mentioned the a2c is longer by 20mm so it will affect geometry, I'm guessing it will make the head angle slacker?

Plans for the giant, new forks of the Reba variety. But what to do with the cube and the retired foxes?

Could purchase 2x rebas, it would make servicing easier and sell the foxes but I don't think they fetch much on the 2nd hand market do they?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Used Foxes sell for silly money, should be able to fund some semi reasonable forks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.