Bottom bracket shell facing

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Bottom bracket shell facing - how important is it?

I have a 2014 Orange Five with external bottom bracket. It still has the original raceface BB and crankset installed, Ive picked up a new XT set I want to fit.
I have the tools and can swap out the RF kit for XT, but if I need to get the BB shell faced, it will have to go in to the shop.

I've read different opinions on whether it is needed or not. Anyone on here have any particular experience or views on whether or not it is required?

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If it has external bearing already it should have been faced.

And yes it is important.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So, as my bike came direct from factory with external BB, I can fit a new one without worrying about getting it faced?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So, as my bike came direct from factory with external BB, I can fit a new one without worrying about getting it faced?
    Facing us a one off event.

As to Oranges build procedures I can not comment. I have know frames that cost thousands from big makers that have not been faced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown