Cassette small ring not sat square (photos attached)

bruce225
bruce225 Posts: 129
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Noticed when in the small ring on the cassette there was a slight rubbing, thought it was gears needed adjusting but at a close look the smallest ring is not sitting flush against the next ring all way round so the chain is not running straight.

Will it be a simple remove cassette and re seat is it possible for it not to be sat true or is there a bigger problem.

The cassette is of a Boardman with this cassette SRAM PG1050 - 12-36t

Comments

• sounds odd... pics?

Wonder if its not on properly, the freehub body has grooves on so it will only go on one way round.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Probably not in the groove, more common than one would expect.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • bruce225
    Hi pictures one and two show how one side is not sat flush against the second ring compared with picture 3

Will this be a case of unseating and reseating or will I need a new ring, are each ring purchasable individually or do you have to buy a new cassette.

20150405_090136.jpg

20150405_085251.jpg

20150405_085543.jpg
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    might sound simple but is the locking tight?
  • bruce225
    Antm81 wrote:
    might sound simple but is the locking tight?

Thanks but don't have the tool to check it.... trust me to find it on a Saturday night when there nothing open on Easter Sunday..

Going out today on the bike will just miss that gear all the others run true with no effect.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would say it has not been fitted correctly. Take it of align the splines correctly, check for damage first, re tighten lock ring.

If you don't have the tools then back to the seller.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bruce225
    Back to Halfords re seated everything fine.

Cheers everyone