Cardiff / Wales

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited July 2015 in MTB rides
Will be heading to Cardiff with work for the next few months so looking for advise on some MTB tracks / forestry tracks.
Im not into full on MTB just 10-30 mile forestry type tracks ideally that complete a full circuit.

I will be trying the Taff trail but looking for other suggestions.

Also on the subject of the Taff trail is it MTB only or can some of it be done on a road bike?

Also any smallish runs near to Cardiff i can do after my work ?

Thanks

Tim

Comments

• Castle Coch is quite nice for an explore, you can get there along the Taff Trail or park there.
    Lots of random off shoots to explore, but you'll struggle to make 10 miles on its own up there.

You can loop from Cardiff > Caerphilly > Cardiff by taking in the taff trail and going up past Castle Coch and along a bridleway called "the ridgeway".

Or park on the top of Caerphilly mountain at the burger shack and have an explore on the forestry roads behind (be mindful that the route to the top of Caerphilly mountain is a footpath).
  • This is the Castle Coch > Caerphilly > Castle Coch loop I did recently.

Its probably a bit more "off road", but its all bridleway.
    The left side of the route is the taff trail back from Caerphilly, the right side is the loop out of Castle Coch via the bridleways.

If you grab a map, or look at an online OS map, its pretty easy to find out where to go. Although a GPS unit would make it easier.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-04%20at%2020.52.05_zpsli9yls1o.png
  • timboellis
    timboellis Posts: 223
    Brilliant thanks for that will have a good look got for that as a starting point
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    I've done the Taff trial. Its mostly off road tarmac. The only section that isn't tarmac is the route alongside the reservoirs just after Talybont (heading south). The surface is pretty much fire-road stuff there.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • JaseHawk
    JaseHawk Posts: 13
    Huge amounts North of Cardiff. As TNM said, Castell Coch is a great starting point - cycle up to Forest Fawr "Doggers" car park and explore! There's loads of trails around the mountain. From there you can also go to Garth, Caerphilly, the Wenallt and more.