Advice on coast2coast bike?

Invernessink
Invernessink Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in Cyclocross
Hi, I'm new on here so appologies if I have posted in the wrong place. I have signed up to compete in the Ratrace Coast2Coast race this September. This gives me the perfect opportunity to treat myself to a new cyclocross bike (as if any excuse was needed)! I have other bikes, both road and MTBs so this bike would be specifically for the event and then general dicking about/playing/riding forest trails with the kids. I'm very much undecided and my list is varied. My budget is £1300, but I don't need to necessarily use all of it. So far I have considered;

Genesis Croix de Fer
Genesis CdA 20
Planet X SLX or Dirty Disco
Pinnacle Arkrose
Cotic Roadrat

What are your thoughts/advice/suggestions?

Comments

• curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Hope you're doing the one-dayer!

I did it on a Surly Crosscheck, which was perfect although I think disc brakes is the way I would go if I were buying a new bike tomorrow. For me would be hard to look past the Kinesis Crosslight Pro6. Proper fast cyckocross bike.

You'll have an amazing time, it's a brilliant event.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    I went through a similar thought process when trying to find a bike that I could use though the winters and also for a london to paris ride at some point.

Therefore, it needed to do all of what you ask plus have the capability for guards and/or rack & panniers.

I settled for a Rose DX Pro - the prices have come down this year, probably due to exchange rates but you can get the 105 version for under £900 or the Ultegra version for just over the grand. You could even go to the Ultegra version with Hydraulic discs for £2 over your budget.

I've done about 500km on mine now and I'm very happy with it.

Details here - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-mb/aid:771072