Nokon installation

MattFT
MattFT Posts: 178
edited April 2015 in Workshop
So, was going to try to install Nokon for both gear and brakes this easter holiday. I've got the starter pack which includes two pairs of cables. One thicker (I presume for the brakes) and one thinner (I presume for the shifting duties).

The thinner pair look good for my campy shifters and fit inside the housing. However, the thicker brake pair have two problems. First they've got metal "stops" on both ends. One looks right to go into the brake leaver and the other is circular. There's obviously no way to install with the circular bit on so I cut it off... perhaps foolishly.

Now my questions/problems. The thicker cables don't fit in the liners - they're too thick. The lines are all the same diameter. Were wider lines missing from my pack? If not, why did they supply thicker cables?

Confused and frustrated! :|

Anyone got any ideas?
FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
Genesis Day One Disc - commuter

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    WRT the stops, you cut the stop off you don't need. One end is for MTB or TT brakes, the other for road brake shifters.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MattFT
    Thanks NapD. That explains the stops.

Now what's with the cables not fitting in the liners?

My Condor R.I.P.

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I only use Nokon for brakes ('cos I'm on di2), but have not had difficulty fitting the brake cables through the liner. I did find that e.g. Dura Ace PTFE-coated brake cable works poorly with Nokon, but Nokon's own cable has been fine. As an aside, gear and brake cable diameters are standard, and yes, the finer cable is for gears and the heavier weight is for braking. I assume you've tried putting it through the liner by itself, without any outer beads installed, and that you've checked that you made a clean cut and don't have any strands unwinding from the cable or any bulging where you cut it? Brake cable is hard stuff to cut cleanly unless you use the proper tool.
  • MattFT
    A clean cut with borrowed Park Tool cutters and removing the outer beads did the trick. Thanks!

My Condor R.I.P.