change crankset to 1 ring

GordonFreeman
GordonFreeman Posts: 120
edited April 2015 in MTB general
The current crankset on my MTB has 3 rings (48, 38, 28T).
I don't ever use anything apart form the middle ring and I'd like to take off the derailleur and shifter as I only use this for commuting.
Can I remove the outer and inner ring on the crankset or do I have to buy a new one?
I could do with something a bit lighter and smoother but don;t want to spend a whole lot.
Back cassette has 7 cogs.
http://s22.postimg.org/9mvg1dz7l/bike1.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/6ricuiv7l/bike2.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can take it off, leave the front mech on as a chain guide, just set the limit screws so it stays over the middle ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Buy a 38T narrow wide ring and mount it on the middle ring position, remove everything else. Job done.
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Buy a 38T narrow wide ring and mount it on the middle ring position, remove everything else. Job done.
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm

Plus there's 25% off till Monday I believe with the code BANKUK
  • When you say put in the middle position, will I have to get longer bolts to fit this or should the new crank come with them?
  • cooldad
    Doesn't look like your rings are bolted on, looks like rivets so new crank time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Does that mean new arms too, ie a crankset?
    Also, if I have a 7 speed on the back, does it matter how many teeth the front ring has?
    Does it have to be 38 or could it be 36, 32, etc.?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, new cranks.

Fit the size that gives the gearing you want...but as you say you only ever use the middle 38T it makes sense to stick to that size, my town hack bike is 1x7 and runs a 36t, although that is the size I just happened to have on a set of cranks in the shed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Yes, new cranks.

Fit the size that gives the gearing you want...but as you say you only ever use the middle 38T it makes sense to stick to that size, my town hack bike is 1x7 and runs a 36t, although that is the size I just happened to have on a set of cranks in the shed!

Hmm. Kind of getting expensive for a commuter bike.
    It will be a new crank + a new NW ring.

If I just take off the front gear switcher, then am I still able to adjust the chain guide to hold it on the middle?

Also, can you use a road bike crank on a MTB?
  • cooldad
    You can take the shifter off but why bother for a few grams?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just get some cheap used cranks off ebay, can be had for circa £10 delivered for a pair.

My commuter uses a Stronglight track crankset with a chainguide, nice and light option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    My pub bike has a triple, no front mech, I keep it on the outer ring (42) and only use the top half of the cassette (7speed), chain has never fallen off.

As suggested I would leave it on the middle ring, remove the shifter if that's what want to do and heep the front mech as a guide or remove that too.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.