New Shock for the Mega

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get an alternative shock to the standard HV Monarch RT3 I currently run on my 2012 Nukeproof Mega. I've been looking at coil shocks to have one I can install for 'gravity' rides and put the Monarch back on for trail centres. Are there any coil shocks (Van RC, DHX, Kage, Vivid etc.) that anyone has had particularly good/bad experience with or that anyone would recommend?

Either that or go for an upgraded air shock in the realms of a Monarch plus or DHX air. Again, anyone have anything good/bad to say about those?

(The CaneCreek shocks are generally out of my price range).

As always, Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Cane Creek Double Barrel would be my first choice but it is expensive. Next best would be a Fox Van RC with a PUSH tune. The shock is really cheap, €150 from ze Germans and when tuned is an awesome shock. I prefer a well set up Van to a DHX.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cage, vivid, DHX don't come in 190x50 size. VanRC and Cane Creek come in 190x50 size.

Used to run a pushed vanRC on my ghost, was a brill shock much much better than the monarch plus I replaced it with. Currently running an CCDB inline and its almost as good as the vanRC. Can pick up a used VanRC for £100-130
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    PUSHed Fox Float X. Lovely.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

A very good shock but it just wont match a coil when things get nasty. Air shocks are getting closer to coil shocks but still not there.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

A very good shock but it just wont match a coil when things get nasty. Air shocks are getting closer to coil shocks but still not there.

Doesn't matter anyway as I failed to read the OP's comment about CC being out of price rage. That puts a PUSHed X out of reach, too.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Cheers for the info guys. Van RC was what I have been looking for mainly to be honest! Just got to wait for someone to be selling the right size.
    POAH wrote:
    cage, vivid, DHX don't come in 190x50 size. VanRC and Cane Creek come in 190x50 size.

Used to run a pushed vanRC on my ghost, was a brill shock much much better than the monarch plus I replaced it with. Currently running an CCDB inline and its almost as good as the vanRC. Can pick up a used VanRC for £100-130

It's a 200x50mm I need and that tends to be the smallest size in most of the coil shocks available.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I thought the mega was 190x50, my mistake