Carbon MTB forks

panther1967
panther1967 Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone.
This is my first post. I've been reading this forum for quite a while now, and as a late beginner to mountain biking it's been a great source of information and helped me with servicing and upgrading my bike. From this forum I've learned how to change my bottom bracket, cut, fit and bleed new hydraulic disc brakes, set up my gears, and much more. Anyway enough of the waffle, can anyone give me some advice on carbon rigid forks?
I have a 2011 Boardman MT Comp mountain bike fitted with Suntour Epicon Lod 120mm air forks. They badly need a service as they don't seem move much now, even after playing around with air pressure and rebound adjustment. I've heard that they're probably not worth servicing anyway as they are a cheap fork, so I was thinking of changing to rigid carbon forks. I was considering the Exotic Carbon Fork and was wondering how good is it and would it fit my Boardman. My riding is nothing too technical, XC mainly around Shipwright Woods and Hadleigh Downs in Essex and the odd trip to Bedgebury. If you've changed your hardtail to a rigid carbon fork setup, could you tell me what it rides like and what it's limitations might be?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    T he Epicon is a decent fork and well worth servicing
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the fork on a hardtail is key, so it's worth sorting it out. If the current fork is goosed then there are plenty of alternatives out there - RS sektors or revs for example.

Running a rigid fork is fine - I run my 29er rigid - but it definitely changes the personality of the bike, and what you can do with it, so think this through.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer