Nagging doubts

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
I'm buying a bike through cycle2work. My absolute, unmoveable budget is £650.

My current bike is a Carrera virtuoso. I was after something lighter (for climbing - although my 90kg doesn't help.....) and with a carbon fork. Relaxed geometry and I'm fine with Claris.

I ride 5000 miles commuting on poor urban roads (mostly thanks to LB Barnet). Twice a month maybe a 50-70 mile club run, on Hertfordshire/Essex roads which are also not great.

My company is using cycle solutions, and my shortlist from what they sell was:
Merida ride 100 - seen it and other Meridas in the flesh and like it!
GT gts comp- not seen, but Evans stock GT, so can probably have a gander.
Cannondale synapse claris 8
Was going to gauge opinion about whether the giant defy 3 was worth forgoing the carbon fork for...the fact it's sora makes one difference to me.

And then.......I discovered the GT grade....

I've seen the bike in the flesh and love it. I've had discs before and at the lower end of the market I'm shopping at, they definitely beat rim brakes. The reviews for a couple of models higher up the range are superb. The bike seems to be ideal for my needs

But I just have 2 nagging doubts.

1) it's not light. I could shed a smidgeon of weight on the tyres, but not loads.
2) am I going to struggle to replace at a decent cost if I knack the wheels? Particularly as front is thru axle not qr skewer....?

I've convinced myself that the stiffer frame and lack of fatigue due to better ride quality will make hills easier anyway..... And the discs mean I can descend faster anyway ;)
a few 100 g on the frame is negligible compared to the few 1000g around my midriff.

More concerned about the wheels.

So, BR cognoscenti, your thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Planet X RT-58 with SRAM Apex for £649.99

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58AL ... -road-bike

Job done!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Oh they dont offer a we'll buy in any bike make like Halfords :cry:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Personally i'd go for the Cannondale CAAD 8 with the lower spec wheels and groupset because for very little money you can upgrade both. Excellent frame & forks and thats where the main budget should go.

£600
    http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p73587/ ... -road-bike

Even something like Shimano 501 can be had for £55-60 in the sales and as for groupsets you can pick up 105 mechs/shifters very cheaply even cheaper if you go used.

Its entirely possible to buy that plus upgrades for about £700 depending on when you buy the parts and if you sell on the bits you replace.

Well worth the effort for what you'd end up with.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    PBo wrote:

I've convinced myself that the stiffer frame and lack of fatigue due to better ride quality will make hills easier anyway..... And the discs mean I can descend faster anyway ;)

I have been on discs for over 5 years and they are not better downhill... they are on pair with rim calipers, when fitted with 160 mm rotors and probably poorer with 140 mm rotors. They are more reliable when it's wet and won't thrash your rims.

It is possible that MTB fitted with fully hydraulic 203 mm discs brake better going down, but road systems are not that amazing
    left the forum March 2023
  • PBo
    Thanks guys.

Boffo, any reason why the CAAD over the Synapse?

Cheers
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    PBo wrote:
    Thanks guys.

Boffo, any reason why the CAAD over the Synapse?

Cheers

I'm not boff, but isn't the Synapse for the more 'casual' rider - longer headset, more relaxed position, etc?
  • PBo
    That's what I thought too - felt that for all the commuting miles I do, synapse geometry would be better than caad....
  • itboffin
    I've ridden the caad and the evo neither felt tiring or racey and from the people I know that have or had caad's they love them and rate them very highly, they're very sort after second hand as well which is a good indicator.

Can you try before you buy?