Ultegra 11-30 on 105

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a Roubaix Sport Compact 2014 which has a 105 long cage dérailleur and a Tiagra 12-30 so says the spec: http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... /14roubaix

I have a second set of wheels planetx ct45 and I wanted to know can I put the ultergra 12-30 cassette on that and no further changes would be required?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Yes.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    I agree with Grill - but why do you need a 30 T on Aero made for higher speed wheels?
  • jpower
    I like to think of them as my summer wheels now and I need the 30 for climbing, pretty poor climber.
  • jpower
    What's the difference in these cassette assuming the same teeth, is it purely weight and material?

I'm considering 105 as I got a few bits to buy and want to contain my cost. Assuming 105 5700 10 speed would go straight on?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Shimano don't do a 30t 5700 cassette. The 6700 cassette is usefully lighter and much better finished.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    jpower wrote:
    What's the difference in these cassette assuming the same teeth, is it purely weight and material?

I'm considering 105 as I got a few bits to buy and want to contain my cost. Assuming 105 5700 10 speed would go straight on?

Just use a Tiagra 12-30. Not that much of a weight penalty and plenty good enough. I've run them on all my builds matched with 105 and/or Ultegra

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

Cheap as chips and work well IME
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Same here, I run a Tiagra 12-28 on my Ultegra set up. 40 grams or whatever is not noticeable in the real world.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jpower
    Perfect, can't say the weight shaving going to mean much to me, I've way more to learn before that level.

Only question I am left with is, does the cassette make any difference on the spline or bearings? I think the reason I was being pointed to Ultergra or maybe 105 was because they would be easier on the split email or beating, can anyone make sense of that?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    If your wheels have an alloy freehub body, then all of the cassettes you mention will bite into the splines on it. Nothing to worry about though.
  • jpower
    Super. Will order Tiagra. Thanks to all.