Anyone managed to run 11-32 on Dura Ace 9070?

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Just converted my Tarmac to 11 speed and am struggling to get the gears working right.

On my 10-speed bikes I use Berner cages (long cages with bigger pulleys) so I can run 11-32 no problem.

Put the same cage onto my 9070 11 speed and it's just not indexing correctly. I have also tried 11-28 with a bit more luck.

All firmware updated. Have tried different 11-speed cassettes on different wheels.

Next step is to put the stock cage back on, and test it with 11-28 which should work no problem.

I also have a GS Ultegra cage that should help run 11-32.

Has anyone managed to run 11-32 with Dura Ace 9070? (53-39 up front).

Thanks for any advice....

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    There's been discussion by Leonard Zinn and other Americans on Velonews about this. From memory, the trick is to use the longer GS Ultegra cage on your Dura Ace mech to run 11-32.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Mercia Man wrote:
    There's been discussion by Leonard Zinn and other Americans on Velonews about this. From memory, the trick is to use the longer GS Ultegra cage on your Dura Ace mech to run 11-32.

Yes, I'll be trying that also. I may just buy an Ultegra 6870 GS mech for when I need to run 11-32. I read somewhere that the GS mech operates slightly differently to the CS (short) version so simply swapping the cage over may not work perfectly - especially when putting it onto 9070. Seems 9070 wasn't "designed" for this.