spokes on handbuilts

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Chunky monkey, thinking of getting some handbuilt wheels to act as an incentive to be less chunky :lol:

Would aim for 85kg (no rude comments, please) but what sort of spoking would we all recommend? IIRC, the wise guru Ugo has something against one of the Sapim spoke types, although I'm blowed if I can remember which one!!!!! :roll:

PS: am running Campag and AFAIK there are no local wheelbuilders (Bucks) I'd turn to with any confidence

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    It's usually Sapim CX Rays IIRC that people baulk at, mostly due to the eye-watering cost.
    HTH ;-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    SecretSam wrote:
    Chunky monkey, thinking of getting some handbuilt wheels to act as an incentive to be less chunky :lol:

Would aim for 85kg (no rude comments, please) but what sort of spoking would we all recommend? IIRC, the wise guru Ugo has something against one of the Sapim spoke types, although I'm blowed if I can remember which one!!!!! :roll:

PS: am running Campag and AFAIK there are no local wheelbuilders (Bucks) I'd turn to with any confidence

1) Nothing against any Sapim spoke, but laser at the rear DS for you... maybe not

2) I have a friend living very close to you who can build you a set of wheels, he's not a PRO, but he's just as good, if you want someone local
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If the wheel is very stiff then sapim laser DS rear could work out well but given on a 28 spoke rear wheel using sapim race ds rear adds 18g you have wonder why wouldn't you use the thicker spoke.

If you are using a traditional narrow rim then a spoke with a 2.3mm diameter at the elbow is good like DT Swiss alpine or sapim strong but the sapim strong is a bit over kill for most riders.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    85kg isn't heavy. I use Sapim D-Lights quite frequently; they're strong, easy to build with, light enough and (importantly) cheap compared to e.g. C-XRays.