Which skewer

loaghtanloadedmtb
loaghtanloadedmtb Posts: 12
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have a Trek Superfly AL Elite 100 (2013 Model) I need a knew set of wheels the front hub takes a 15mm bolt through .....is the back just a 142mm quick release skewer. Thanks

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They use a Bontrager 12x142mm thru axle, or older ones use a ABP skewer. Go to your Trek dealer.
  • Hi,think mine must be the older version, 12mm looks to thick ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could take it out and look.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thats why I'm asking I'm unsure it looks the same thickness as a road bike, Thanks....Trek dealer is miles away
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Thats why I'm asking I'm unsure it looks the same thickness as a road bike, Thanks....Trek dealer is miles away

It appears that frame had convertible dropouts, so we can't tell you without seeing it, but it's one of two choices - either a skewer or a through-axle.
    If it's actually a skewer (threaded end-cap one end, quick release lever the other) then you just need to check the length, as some trek models used non-standard lengths. You'll know instantly if it's a thru-axle, as it won't have an end-cap one end, but will screw directly into the dropout.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll screw into the dropout either way with a captive nut.

If it's skewer thickness (6mm) it's ABP, bar a couple of alternatives you need a Bontrager one from a Trek dealer. If it's 12mm you need a Bontrager thru-axle one, from a Trek dealer. HTH

What are you actually trying to achieve? Have you lost yours? Want a lighter one? Different colour?
  • Just after a new set of wheels, I use Stans Arches on my hard tail and would like to use them on my full sus, but will need a 12mm convertor
  • dm1672
    dm1672 Posts: 48
    What hubs are on your stans arches is it hope ?then you just buy the adapters for them
  • hi, think I've sussed it, this wheel should do, without having to get a adapter, should be alright with the quick release ABP skewer that i've got already, thanks everyone
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hop ... l-ec056948
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What makes you think that one will fit when it appears to come with normal QR and a 15mm adaptors only?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The wheel I'm replacing had a quick release skewer ABP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are all quick release, but that is different to a normal QR.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.