New Rotors - new rubbing

Don B
Don B Posts: 122
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Installed new Sram Centreline rotors front and rear on my Kona Kula to replace the Avid G3 stock ones.
Wanted to go 180mm front so replaced the rear one at the same time to make a matching pair.

Now both front and rear brakes rubs constantly, not so much to stop the wheel quickly, but enough that you can hear it.

Would this be down to the thickness of the new rotor being slightly more than the old ones?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Give it some time...

Did you changed pads as well or just rotors with old caliper/pads combination combination??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Quite possibly, or there could be a slight dish on them, a little bit of rub isn't unusual, will need some bedding in.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    CL rotors are both thicker and not often straight in my experience ;(
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Don B
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't change pads, i had the bike set up with new pads and brakes were bled by my LBS last week (with the old rotors in place)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don B wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't change pads, i had the bike set up with new pads and brakes were bled by my LBS last week (with the old rotors in place)
    And the chances of the new rotors being in the same place as the old ones is slim. Either use as is or reset the caliper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Don B
    As in remove the pads and push the pistons back in?
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    no, look for a gap on one side and non on the other. if this is the case undo the bolts that mount the caliper, and center the disc so that their is a small gap on both sides. It should stop the rubbing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It may, or if the LBS bled the brakes without having the pistons pushed back it will rub regardless until the pads are worn a bit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.