ID Bike Geo (Type)/Relaxed Frame Recommendation

jlieu
jlieu Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Have some newbie questions that I'm hoping I can learn from. Wasn't quite sure what to ask; but here it goes:

Awhile back, I got back into cycling with a Kilo TT Pro. Before that, the last time was as a kid.
304919d1427991016t-beginner-questions-id-bike-geo-type-relaxed-frame-recommendations-kilo_tt_pro_white_chrome_xi_2100.jpg

Sadly, I never became a fan of the 'track' riding position. However, I've loved the weight of the bike and enjoyed the fixed gear experience. The only minor complaint is the toe overlap due to the track geometry, but only noticeable when casually riding (very slowly).

Recently, I obtained an old 1980s Miyata Shorerunner and the more relaxed/upright riding position has been much more enjoyable. It makes for an easier ride for recreational family rides. The freewheel and management of gears is different, but I'm neutral on it.
304918d1427990989t-beginner-questions-id-bike-geo-type-relaxed-frame-recommendations-screen-shot-2015-04-01-11.20.19-pm.jpg

Thinking the bike shape makes a difference in the riding experience, can someone tell me what geo/frame type the Miyata is? It looks similar to Touring, but not quite as wide. It was originally marketed as an ATB.

Regarding a more relaxed frame, I've had some people suggest a Wabi Cycle, Trek 720, or older Schwinn Le Tours. But these all seem to be standard Road Bike geo.

Otherwise, I was also wondering if adjusting the stock stem/handlebars on the Kilo to an upright stem and flat/riser bars would fix the riding position dilemma? The stock stem is 8 degree and a bit too forward facing.

Thank you!

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Flipping (from -8 to +8) the stem on the Kilo would give a more upright position, but the reach to the bars might still be too much.

For geometry, key visual hints are:
    1) amount of space between rear tire and seat tube. Or measurement of chainstay length - center of BB to rear axle.
    2) amount of fork 'bend'. Or measurement of fork offset and trail
    3) typically a larger frame size has less drop to the bars. But a 'racing' geo frame might have a longish toptube to facilitate a lower riding position.
    4) the wheelbase length. Longer for comfort and stable handling, shorter for stiffness and quick (twitchy?) handling.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • jlieu
    jlieu Posts: 3
    Ha, very good suggestion Jay on reversing the stem! I'll have to give that a try.

Thank you for the advice on geometry. I'll keep that in mind going forward and start examining it to my own experience. Excellent approach to visualize the mechanics.