Jagwire Road Pro cables

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to replace my brake and gear cables. Cables I currently have are the latest Shimano polymer coated things which are brilliant, but I begrudge paying £50 for a full set.

I've seen the Jagwire Road Pro's for £25 - how do they compare to the Shimano's/are they any good?

Or are there any alternatives?

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I have the polymer coated as well and wouldn't change to anything else tbh.
    If you find they are not as good you'll want the polymers anyway

MAtt
  • The newer Jagwire cables are a massive pain. Instead of producing separate Campagnolo and Shimano/ SRAM sets, they do them with both ends - and you need to cut off the 'wrong' ones. That means that you are much likelier to get a frayed end when pushing them through shifters or other tight bits - very irritating.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I raised the issue of gear cables a while ago:
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13019861
    As usual in such things, my post got a few conflicting (but nevertheless helpful) responses with recommendations ranging from very cheap cables and expensive cables, including the Jagwire Pros and various grades of Shimanos!
    I have now got the Ultegra gear cables waiting to be fitted but have'nt done anything yet as shifting still seems fine, despite what I thought was a problem on the horizon.
    What nobody mentioned was that the Jagwire Pros are 'double ended' which I can imagine would be a real pain if the cut was suboptimal.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I recently re-cabled my winter bike with the new (double ended) road pro set. No problems with fraying cables after the cut, just make sure you have a decent pair of cable cutters!
    The cables do the job well, certainly a vast improvement on the basic shimano cables they replaced (though they did have several thousand miles of use in them, so that shouldn't be much of a surprise!) Can't compare them to the higher end shimano cables, but I doubt you will be disappointed.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    edited April 2015
    The newer Jagwire cables are a massive pain. Instead of producing separate Campagnolo and Shimano/ SRAM sets, they do them with both ends - and you need to cut off the 'wrong' ones. That means that you are much likelier to get a frayed end when pushing them through shifters or other tight bits - very irritating.

I think they've stopped doing the double ended ones. I fitted a set the other day and it only has the shimano/sram end stops. So I didn't have to cut the inners.

Jagwire site here also makes no mention of Campag -nhttp://jagwire.com/products/v/road_pro

I like the Jagwire kits. Been using them for years and they seem to weather well. My LBS swears by them as well. But then, they do sell them ;-)

UPDATE - The universal sport ones are double ended, and the road pro ones are single ended - if you believe what they say on the site.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    JamesEs wrote:
    ...just make sure you have a decent pair of cable cutters!

This ^^
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I use the road pro cables in the shop. Oddly enough k have a good cable cutter. I have never frayed the cable pushing it through the puter. I am not charmed.

The jagwire kits are still double ended.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    Jagwire road pro are still double ended as stated above. Buy some decent knippex cutters and you'll have no problem with cutting them. I've never had a problem with cutting them or any other cables and I'm fairly ham fisted and impatient, although pretty mechanical minded. Got them on both the good and winter bike and have a spare set sitting for when I need a replacement. Definitely an upgrade over the ultegra stuff they replaced, will see how the last on the winter bike...