Magazine free gifts.

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited April 2015 in MTB general
What's the best and most useless free gifts you've recieved with a magazine?

At lunchtime I was stood in a shop browsing what cycling mags they had on sale. I found one mountain biking mag came with a free T25 Torx key. It's been bugging me since, trying to think of anything on my MTB that actually uses T25 Torx bolts ?

The best was a pair of wolly gloves, nice enough to wear anywhere (not just cycling) I've had a lot of use out of them.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My sons bike used to have Avid BB5 brakes which required T25 to adjust. I actually used to carry one on rides as they sometimes needed adjusting mid ride, especially if wet - I dont know why but it appears something kept slipping. Swapped them for hydros now though and also dont think I have T25 any more.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I was thinking rotors but the bolts are T20 on mine
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Step83 wrote:
    I was thinking rotors but the bolts are T20 on mine

Good Point - I think mine are T25. I use a ratchet screwdriver on them though as its easier, quicker, less fatigue and clearance isnt a problem.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Rotor bolts, Reverb remote clamp bolt. Those are the right size on my bike.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most disc bolts are T25.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    The Rookie wrote:

Proved wrong, im ill anyway im off to put the toast back in the fridge or something
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Step83 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Proved wrong, im ill anyway im off to put the toast back in the fridge or something

Either T25 or allen bolts. I have a T25 fancy park tools specifically for disc brake bolts.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    Magura mt series of brakes
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I had to buy a similar one about a year ago for the inboard adjuster of the BB7s on my cross bike. Since then I've got rid of those brakes and received a copy of said magazine so I now have 2 of them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't most multi tools have a T25 bit?
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    ben@31 wrote:
    What's the best and most useless free gifts you've received with a magazine?
    The best was a pair of wolly gloves, nice enough to wear anywhere (not just cycling) I've had a lot of use out of them.
    The best freebies I've had with mags are usually clothing: two Buff clones and a wooly hat.
    The worst was one of those weird single big tyre-levers with "storage" in the handle.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    Only ever bought three bike mags, one present was a neoprene pouch (which is currently being used to hold my snowboard ratchet tool as it's far too small for my phone), another was a chainstay protector (which I've subsequently lost), and the third was a pedal spanner, which would come in really useful right now IF I COULD FIND THE POXY THING as I want to take my pedals off and give 'em a good greasing.

In terms of free gifts, the best ones would have been off White Dwarf magazines back in the day. The worst are undoubtedly the rubbish demo discs from gaming mags.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, most rotor bolts are T25, although some (including Ashima and Carbon-Ti) are T20.

SRAM like T25 bolts - virtually all the bolts on XX and XX1 are T25 (and probably other groupsets, dunno) - lever clamps, cable clamps, mech fitting bolts, calliper bolts etc, Reverb as mentioned.