Survey: How do you choose & buy your bike tyres ?

GClem
GClem Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Hi everyone !

As part of my studies, I'm carrying out a survey to know how do you choose and purchase your bike tyres. So I've made a REALLY short survey (only 12 questions) less than 2 min.

I'm open to all your constructive remarks and opinions :wink:
Thanks a lot for your contribution and the short time spent to help me !

Here's the link : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OSNesGtrzONKRak8ogsQ_kts4JtmbsQVSDpbECvE3UE/viewform?usp=send_form

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Firstly, use a spellcheck.

Q1 - So which is it? Last bike I bought or my main bike? (Although I'm not sure which one that is, I have lots.)
    Q2 - The new bike I just bought is from 1996, so do you mean last bike I bought new or the last bike I bought which (note spelling) is new to me?
    Q3 - I normally buy tyres from a shop, or do you mean do I buy the brand originally fitted?
    Q4 - Depends. I use a number of brands.
    Q5 - Errr? Do they have a use by date?
    Q6 - Depends.
    Q7 - Depends on the bike. I have a number of bikes and some are more loved than others.
    Q8 and 9 - OK but won't let me answer because of Qs 1 2 3 5 6 7.
    Q10 - OK you win, I've lost the will to live.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why's the built in language Russian or Greek or something?

Bad survey - most like CD says above.

Perhaps try it around a certain scenario.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Don't listen to 'em. This is the standard response when anyone puts a survey up here. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's serviceable. Done.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    I was bored.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm an ass.

I'm like 12 :lol:
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know my spelling is bad which is why I use spell checker, getting somewhere close makes it seem like you care and therefor sets a respondent in the right frame of mind, suggest you don't care and why should the person taking the survey?

I tried taking it, but as I don't buy complete bikes but build them I can't answer most the questions at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I couldnt answer it. My last two bikes were custom builds so the original tyres were my choice.
    I dont care what brand they are. I choose based on what sort of riding the bike will be used for. I have more than one set of tyres for each bike depending on conditions. I dont give a toss about reccomendations, design, what pro's are using. I look for features which will suit the intended use.
  • Angus Young
    I dont care what brand they are.

But, presumably, you know there are some brands you should steer clear of and some brands that might have something to offer within their range. At least as a broad starting point.
    I dont give a toss about... design...
    ...I look for features which will suit the intended use.

Features that are there by design? Those side blocks that offer you the last scrabble of grip as you're leaning the bike over don't get there on their own, you know.
    I dont give a toss about recommendations...

How, then, do you start your search given that it is impractical for an individual to test all available options? Have you never read a tyre review, listened to advice from better riders than yourself or taken on board general chatter to get a feel for how certain tyres are reviled/regarded, might or might not be the kind of thing you're looking for? Perhaps you were born knowing good tyres from bad.Or maybe you use your spidey senses...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I cant think of a brand with nothing good to offer or a brand without a bad tyre.

I got the impression that by design he meant aesthetic design.

I ignore reviews and recommendations because unless they are recommendations from someone who rides the same trails as me on the same bike with similar suspension set up and has a similar riding style their thoughts on that tyre could be very different to mine. I know what works for me, I know what sort of profile and width I like and what sort of tread pattern features work on my local trails and I know what level of protection I want.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Your survey is sh1t and got a sh1t response
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Did the survey as best I could but there were too many assumptions in it. My crap conditions HT has Mud X and my nice FS has Nobby Nics... neither came on the bikes and I have no 'brand' affiliations at all. Just got a Baron as a front mud tyre and an HR as a front all-rounder off a mate who now has a 650b. I wanted to try something new, as he rides where I ride and he recommended I try them... if they suit I might get more. So all different brands - I guess ads/media make me aware of 'options' but it's local knowledge recommendations that swing it for me.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I cant think of a brand with nothing good to offer or a brand without a bad tyre.

I'll let you have the pair of Universal that are in my garage then, as far as I can find they only do the one tyre, these came off a bike sold by Woolworths.

Not sure CST do any good ones as they leave that to Maxxis, so let us know which one of those you'll use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young

I ignore reviews and recommendations because unless they are recommendations from someone who rides the same trails as me on the same bike with similar suspension set up and has a similar riding style their thoughts on that tyre could be very different to mine. I know what works for me, I know what sort of profile and width I like and what sort of tread pattern features work on my local trails and I know what level of protection I want.

So, spidey senses it was, then.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I know my spelling is bad which is why I use spell checker, getting somewhere close makes it seem like you care and therefor sets a respondent in the right frame of mind, suggest you don't care and why should the person taking the survey?

I tried taking it, but as I don't buy complete bikes but build them I can't answer most the questions at all.

The spell checker seems to have failed....twice.Oh the irony.