bearings in my 29er bwin rockrider big 8

Yafai_Biker
Yafai_Biker Posts: 10
edited April 2015 in MTB general
basically,
my fron wheel was making a grinding sound...
i originally thought it was my suspension which i wasnt happy about however when i took the front wheel off and assessed it i found that it was the hub and he skewer. i strongly believe its the axle is touching bearings inside.
when i too the skewer off there was the spindle/axle. i took this of and the bearings inside where falling off and a few balls came out. i dont know if this is normal?
i want to replace this because my front wheel would move left to right because to stop the creaking sound i had to loosen the spindle when i tightened it the sound came back really badly.
how much will it cost to fix this. i think just needs new bearings? and a clean...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as you haven't lost any, a clean, new grease and adjust the cones correctly. You will need cone spanners. Ball bearings are cheap, just check the sizes, cone spanners are a few £s.

Read Parktools below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The axle (well the cones on it) are meant to touch the bearings, it's how the system works.

As CD says, as long as you haven't lost anything it can be rebuilt with fresh grease and probably work just fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • well i took it apart and all my bearing fell out... what shall i do

thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Put them back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are loose bearings, apart from grease there will be nothing holding them in!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.