Tiagra 4700

alan_sherman
alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Some good stuff on the latest incarnation of Tiagra. A triple! Hidden cables. 10 speed (so works with all your old wheels).

Looks like cable pull will be the same as DA to 105 so not backwards compatible, but requires less adjustment.

Combine with Spyre or HyRd disc brakes and it looks to be the benchmark groupset for these all-road / audax / commuter disc bikes.

I like 10 as a round number, 11 speed seems wrong to me! Also chains are getting way too fragile.

I just hope it is not too heavy.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I was expecting an April's fool day... what a disappointment to find it actually exists and it's that dull... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I thought it might be an April Fools post too- the new look looks almost too good to be Tiagra. I'm happy its coming though- I've just upgraded from 2300 to 5700 shifters/ rear derailleur with the rest being Tiagra and still have 10 speed wheels hanging around so I'm glad good replacement parts will be available for a long time yet.

It will also be great to have a cheaper 5700 equivalent available to use on a winter bike- you can still keep the feel of your better machine but with cheaper replacement parts.

I personally love the new look chainsets, and will probably get one to replace my current Tiagra chainset as it both looks much nicer and means I'll be able to switch between chainrings as I like (it's both my training and racing machine)- it's just a shame they're no longer making the standard 39t chainring for it.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    If this has a real world price of around £220-230, like current 4600, then I think it will be great for anybody without 11 speed wheels on a tight budget. However, if "upgrading" from 8-9 speed then I think most people will still probably bypass 10 speed and go straight to 11 speed 105 and a new set of wheels or hub.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It'll just be the usual 'trickle down' of 105, won't it? I.e. rebadged 5700.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    So what's the compatibility going to be like? I mostly run 6700 at the moment but use a Tiagra cassette as they're cheap, I assume that will continue to be the case.

Also, wouldn't it be better if they kept the groupset ID's in step. We've just had 6800 and 5800, can't we have 4800 ?
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    thegibdog wrote:
    That is never the case. Little things might trickle down over time but the tiagra groupset is nowhere near to being 105 internally inc: materials used
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Tiagra's fine as a day to day groupset though isn't it. The only thing that is annoying about it is the cabling and they've sorted that. Its cheap and works well.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    So what's the compatibility going to be like? I mostly run 6700 at the moment but use a Tiagra cassette as they're cheap, I assume that will continue to be the case.

Also, wouldn't it be better if they kept the groupset ID's in step. We've just had 6800 and 5800, can't we have 4800 ?

Well it's 10 speed shimano so it'll be fine. 4800 will be 11 speed tiagra if they keep them in step.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    thegibdog wrote:

They've used the same FD design as 5800/6800 with the new 4700 FD so it'll be better than 5700 which I had and was bloody awful, clunky and crude!

I've 4600 on my winter bike and its better than 5700, the gear changes are smoother and more precise and less lever force is required for the FD.

I love the look of the 4700, so hopefully it'll come in at a price low enough to put a good difference between it and 5800.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's functionally as good as 5800, has concealed cables, will fit my 10 speed Shimano wheels, and significantly cheaper than 5800 which itself seems to be commonly available below £300, what's not to like? IMO the chainset looks a lot better than the current Tiagra offering too
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    keef66 wrote:
    If it's functionally as good as 5800, has concealed cables, will fit my 10 speed Shimano wheels, and significantly cheaper than 5800 which itself seems to be commonly available below £300, what's not to like? IMO the chainset looks a lot better than the current Tiagra offering too

Indeed. With previous Tiagra it meant a lot of compromises such as no under bar routing and a horrible chainset, but now those have been removed, as long as you don't specifically need 10 speed then it's the one to go for IMO.
  • Just saw a price listed on ribble @ £241.90 for the groupset.

I wonder if Merlin will do a package with TRP spyre or HyRd discs. A great option for my next bike.