Sram Guide RS help please

brucie45
brucie45 Posts: 279
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I am looking to purchase Some Sram Guide RS brake set. I have found a good deal on Probikeshop and the brakes come in a full set i.e. Levers, callipers, rotors & mounts.

http://www.probikeshop.com/sram-guide-r ... 99317.html

My question is, do these brakesets purchased from overseas (Europe) normally come front brake left & rear brake right or vice versa? and do I have to change the hoses over for conventional UK set up or are the levers ok upside down so to speak? I have seen on Srams webby that the brakes are ambidextrous however I'm not sure that means the same thing.

Thanks for your help
Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    If they are like the old elixirs then they can be used either way up, looks like they are as the reservoir is essentially on the side and not on the top.
  • brucie45
    Ok thanks for that. The picture shows two left hand levers so I guess that backs up what your saying.

On another note I can get a full Shimano Zee set up inc. Ice Tech rotors from my LBS for £220 set up. The Srams will cost £150 but have to set up myself. Which do you think would be the best option as I genuinely can't make up my mind.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    XT at half the price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Antm81
    I've heard good things about the guide brakes but they're fairly new and it's not known if they'll be as troublesome as the elixirs previously.

Zee are good but may be overkill (they're essentially designed for downhill), but then I don't know your intended usage. Shimano tend to be lower maintenance than other brakes also.

Personally I'd be looking at either slx or XT (I've got slx) and set up is very easy, just trimming hoses can be a little difficult, but done right you can do it without the need to bleed.
  • brucie45
    I did think about XT for the money but I have been told for better power and modulation the two brakes above are better, It would make sense as both Zee's and Sram RS use 4pot callipers, as a heavier rider (17st with kit) its the extra power with 180mm rotors I am looking for. Would you say XT are comparable in terms of stopping power and modulation?

Intended usage would be on a 150mm hardtail, jumping, downhill trails, freeride trails, BPW and normal trail centre stuff. That why I am thinking Zee's would be better suited than XT.
  • Antm81
    I doubt you'd have any issues with slx or xt, they have plenty of power
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    that guide deal is pretty good TBH

you can get F&R Zee's at bike discount for £125 but you would need bigger rotors if that's what you want.

I have Zee and had SLX. Zee are better in terms of power and more importantly modulation. I thought about guides before I got the Zee but prefer the mineral oil and compactness of the shimano unit compared to the huge guide one.
  • brucie45
    Thanks for the advice POAH. They are actually selling the Black Guides c/w rotors and mounts for £126 (175 euros) at the min so I'm going to risk it for that money. Even if the levers need swapping over I'll attempt it myself. too good a deal to miss I thinks
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Whatever happens you will need to trim the hoses so bear than in mind. Yes the levers are ambidextrous so you can run l or right.

Personally I would probably buy some Zees for £130, rotors & mounts you have and then get a shop to fit for £30 or so. I love the Guides, and they have been reliable for nearly a year (which is about 11 months more than old Avid brakes) but unless you want to combine your levers/shifters (SRAM MMX only mind) and a Reverb onto the same mounts, then Zees probably offer slightly better power and feel in an easier to service package.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.