Chris king PF24 BB

costica88
costica88 Posts: 12
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I am planning on buying a Chris King PF24 BB. I know they are the cream de la cream, but I was hoping I could get some insight from users. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Whilst I'm a huge fan of King headsets, I'd question whether the BBs will last 10 times longer than a standard Shimano unit...
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    costica88 wrote:
    I know they are the cream de la cream, but I was hoping I could get some insight from users.

What? What sort of "insight" are you hoping to get? You're telling us what you're "planning to buy", so I'm confused as to what you're actually asking.

If you meant to ask about alternatives, then look at the KCNC BB92 - designed to minimise play, about a quarter of the price of the CK version, and still with serviceable (and easily/cheaply obtainable) sealed cartridge bearings.

..or perhaps you just wanted people to justify the cost for you, pat you on the back and say - "yeah, money well spent"? :roll:
  • costica88
    costica88 Posts: 12
    jimothy78 wrote:
    costica88 wrote:
    I know they are the cream de la cream, but I was hoping I could get some insight from users.

What? What sort of "insight" are you hoping to get? You're telling us what you're "planning to buy", so I'm confused as to what you're actually asking.

If you meant to ask about alternatives, then look at the KCNC BB92 - designed to minimise play, about a quarter of the price of the CK version, and still with serviceable (and easily/cheaply obtainable) sealed cartridge bearings.

..or perhaps you just wanted people to justify the cost for you, pat you on the back and say - "yeah, money well spent"? :roll:

When I say insight I mean experiences people have had with it, or Chris King PF brackets in general.
  • njee20
    They've not really been out that long for people to report, although the internal ones really did need the grease gun tool in order to get a decent longevity, and you can't even see the pretty colours on the press-fit ones! So I stand by my "not sure of the point" statement.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    To keep the lifetime warranty valid you have to have it fitted by a Chris King approved shop and you have to use Chris King grease to service it.
    I would just go for a Shimano XTR
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    I have a Chris King headset and it has been a bit of a faff if I'm being honest. XTR or a stainless hope if you really don't want a stock BB from Shimano.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • njee20
    The headsets are way less faff the the BB!