Can I convert XTR 10 speed shifter to 9 speed?

s2_bo
s2_bo Posts: 7
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm putting together a bike out of mainly parts I have lying around.
The whole group set is XT with nine speed rear end but I have only got 10 speed XTR shifters.

I know the left one can switch between 10x2 and 10x3 but can I somehow manually adjust the right one to only shift 9 gears?

If not ill just sell it and get a 9 speed shifter but would be a shame as I think the 9 speed ones have different coloured knobs so would need to change them both really.

Thanks.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nope

This
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    different pull ratio for 10 speed, so shifters and mechs are different to 9 speed unfortunately
  • s2_bo
    Thanks a shame,
    Thanks guys!
  • dgunthor
    for reference, you can use shifters that have too many shifts as long as the pull ratio is the same for what you need.

e.g. a triple front shifter will work fine with a double chainset as the max/min adjusting screws will mean you never get to use the extra click
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not quite, the pull ratio for 8 and 9 speed is the same (you can use an '8 speed' mech on a '9 speed' bike and vice versa) but you can't use a 9 speed shifter on an 8 speed as the sprockets are further apart on an 8 speed, each shift of the 9 speed shifter pulls less cable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    that's because it's a different pull ratio :-)

a quick search has yielded that it's unlikely to work for rear gears as ratio is always different
  • The Rookie
    NO its the same pull ratio (ratio of cable pull to mech movement) which is why 8 and 9 speed parts can be used as stated.

Ratio is different to amount.

Instead of searching find out, in the OP's case it won't work, but other mixes and matches do work
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Rookie's right, I get what you're saying, but you're coming at it wrong.

You can use 8 speed shifters on a 7 speed cassette (with a 9 speed mech if you want), but that's because the spacing is the same, nothing to do with the pull ratio (which is the same).

8 and 9 speed spacing isn't the same, so if you use a 9 speed shifter on an 8 speed cassette the mech will only move 0.89 of a gear each time, which will obviously accumulate to mean really shit shifting.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or just.... Nope
  • s2_bo
    Ok thanks for clearing that up.

So I had another thought and excuse if I'm being ignorant... I tried to search the forum but couldn't find anything on it.

Can I build a 10 speed back end, so using my existing 10 speed shifter and just adding a 10 speed mech, cassette and chain and use it together with my 9 speed XT front end?

Thanks....
  • The Rookie
    Yes, no problem at all, the 9 speed front mech is a little wider than a 10, so a little fussier on setup, but many people use them just fine.
  • s2_bo
    :mrgreen: