Better Living Through Cyclocross

monkimark
monkimark Posts: 1,546
edited April 2015 in Cyclocross
I've been riding bikes recreationally for most of my 35 years on the planet and reasonably seriously since my early teens when I used to somehow drag what would now be considered a BSO at best up and down the pennines with a muddy grin on my face.

Fast forward 20 years and I live in London so the mountain biking has taken a back seat, still riding now and again when I have a free weekend. A few mates got the Olympic bug and bought road bikes so after a year of huffing and puffing with them on a slick tyred mountain bike I joined in and got a road bike, later changed to a cyclocross bike after the road bike got nicked.

Now, I enjoy the social side of group road rides with my mates but a new baby made it difficult to find time for much riding in the last year or two and to be honest I was using that as an excuse sometimes because I couldn't be arsed to get out and ride. Still commuting most of the time but even that was beginning to wane.

Last month I moved out to Ashtead, just inside the southern edge of the M25 and thought I'd get some cyclocross tyres and give offroading another chance. In one ride on Monday I completely reignited my love of cycling, instead of a speedy downhill coast on the road, the reward of the tough climb is a nice bit of forest singletrack, mind totally focussed on not hitting that tree (I hit one tree) and picking the right line through the roots.

I'm now properly excited to get out and ride again, just bought a powerful front light so I can hit the bridleways for a quick blast in the evening after work and I'm itching to explore all the tracks that I saw on my way round Monday's route.

WThe only question is, why did I not try cyclocross before?

Comments

• cheddarpaul
    cheddarpaul Posts: 126
    I second that last comment. I picked up a Boardman CX a few weeks ago and had a play one morning in the local area. It's one of those funny situations, usually, when you see something 'in between', it usually does neither job well. However, with a 'cross bike, put some slicks on and it rolls well for the commute, put knobblys on and you got a decent off-road machine (albeit it wont bounce downhill like a full-suss).

It's honestly a joy to ride and puts a slightly different slant on getting out for a fast club ride, or, getting out to hit the trails hard. Suddenly, lanes and droves are opened up which you wouldn't normally try with either a road or mtb...

If you haven't tried one, do it soon......
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I've been on the road in Holland for more than 20 years with ups and downs, with occasional trips in France, Germany, Belgium and Italy. I even rode from Blantyre back to Utrecht for charity purposes. But last year I got tired of the same roads/routes all over again. I didn't fancy a MTB, so I decided to build a cyclocrosser with spare parts and an ebay frame. I liked it so much that I sold that first project and builded another one.

Nowadays I divide my time between to road and the woods, and the fact that you can choose, makes it so easy to go out there with a big smile on your face. The side effect is that my bike handling became much better and if more power im my legs because of the intensity of cyclocrossing.

Last but least: you will find hidden gems in your own region.
  • I'd like to wish I'd found cyclocross 20yrs earlier (I'd probably be better at it) as it combines two great cycling disciplines I've had the pleasure to do over the years but 20yrs ago I never truly appreciated road riding. Now at 40+ I yearn for my younger, muddy grin, days and CX is a great way to get back there without the terrifying, off work due to breakages, riding I did in my youth :D