Bike Radar / C+ Bike of the Year 2015 Announced

gaffer_slow
gaffer_slow Posts: 417
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Was surprised that their wasn't a topic for it to be discussed.

Finalists (in no particular order)
Trek Domane 5.2
WmX2oKw.png
Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
109a3Iv.jpg
Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc
8x6kpVD.jpg
BMC GF01 Disc 105
5lLsUQ8.jpg
GT Grade Carbon 105
5YPdEks.png

Having expertly ridden none of the above, I can categorically say that they are not as good (both in performance and economy) as my new bike, that has yet to be delivered (or test ridden) :oops:

RESULT WAS ......
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ced-43943/

Comments

• ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    It had to be a disc bike...
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    It had to be to keep the big wigs happy.

We wouldn't feel the need to spend more money to upgrade otherwise.

Also the Queen is a lizard.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    The teammachine was a squishy bike with no feedback and no fun. The GF must ride like a full suspension mountain bike...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Does anyone actually take much notice of this these days?

I think if the Bike of the Year award was the result of user reviews and from a significant number then i would take more notice, but from my experience the bike radar/c+ reviews aren't exactly reliable - at least they haven't been with the products their reviews have enticed me to buy over the last couple of years :x
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Would be interested to know who - as in, which chinese companies actually make theese frames, giant is if the only one made by the company I think?

Nice bikes but the prestige of having the correct stickers on the frames are adding alot to the price.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    really is not worth the paper its written on, read the "report" and its like reading a primary school report:

1. Everyone gets 4 stars....at least
    2. Very stiff, quite comfy description for all
    3. Feels as though they have ridden the bikes to the shops and back at most

Absolute dross
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    From what I've read in C+ it seems the testing was reasonably extensive- the author has ridden each bike at least 50ish miles on the same test route taking in different terrain and surfaces, and with a lot it seems they've been out more than once, and with more than one person.

However, still being a young blood I'm not really interested in excessively comfortable road bikes, but more of speed, handling, frame weight and a little comfort (if it's as good as or better than a basic modern alloy frame then I'm happy).
    I prefer the looks and description of the BMC Teammachine personally- I still need to give one a good test ride (I've heard Evans should oblige this) but at the moment its my dream bike.

It does seem like their winner does cover most of the bases, but just looking at the rest of their line up it looks like the Propel is the only 'racing bike' actually included in the final, although at least the Domane could also be happily used to tear up a circuit (and given the state of the last one I raced at would probably be more suited than most other bikes there!)
    But then I guess that's how it's always going to be when most of the market are more interested in mile munching and hill conquering sportives rather than trying to tear other people's legs off in the dash for the line.
  • Disc breaks √
    Sportive geometry √
    Ulegra Di2 √

Zzzzzzzzzzzz
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Does every bike have to be a sodding sportive bike now?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Gweeds wrote:

Given that this sort of riding is what the majority of road bikes are used for, then yes.
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:

Given that this sort of riding is what the majority of road bikes are used for, then yes.

The majority of road bikes are used for actual sportives. I'm not so sure.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • markhewitt1978
    Gweeds wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

No; not actual sportives, but that sort of riding. As in riding around the countryside at no particular pace.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Gweeds wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Just as a "for instance" here is one website that lists the calendar of sportive events throughout the year.

http://www.cyclosport.org/events/Apr-2015/UK.html

A quick look will tell you that there are 5 pages of events (approx 70 in total) in April, 9 pages of events (approx 130 in total) in May and so on throughout the summer. If we assume an average number of participants at around 300 the totals are quite significant.

Not sure how that compares with the race events calendar and the numbers competing there but I reckon the number of riders using their bikes for sportives is not insignificant.
  • gweeds
    No-one is disputing that. I'm far from convinced that the majority of road riding in the UK is in the form of paid, organised sportives. Certainly not amongst my peers anyway.

I'll wager most people are riding solo, with a mate or a club ride of around 30-50 miles at a pop - not the sort of mileage that warrants the idea of bikes sold as 'endurance' bikes.

Moreover, my point here is that a Bike of the Year that picks such an overwhelmingly large number of said bikes ignores a large part of the market.
  • markhewitt1978
    You miss the point (again). That the majority of riding is of a sportive *type*, which would include riding solo or with mates for around 50 miles. What it's not is road racing or time trials.
  • gweeds
    You miss the point (again). That the majority of riding is of a sportive *type*, which would include riding solo or with mates for around 50 miles. What it's not is road racing or time trials.

No, I'm not. Much of this is market segmentation by the industry to promote a sportive bike being required.

Take Trek, for example. The Madone H2 fit is taller than many 'sportive' bikes yet is sold as a race bike. One make's race bike is another's endurance bike. The idea that all people need a tall, slower handling bike for riding around on the road is a very black and white view IMO.

So, I went out today. I rode for 36 miles at an average of 20.5mph. I was on mainly country roads. Is that sportive riding? Because I'm not on a sportive bike and I've never really felt that I need one. I don't race, or time trial. I don't ride sportives either.
  • markhewitt1978
    Gweeds wrote:
    [
    S. I rode for 36 miles at an average of 20.5mph.

Round of applause. Take a bow :)
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:
    [
    S. I rode for 36 miles at an average of 20.5mph.

Round of applause. Take a bow :)

Much obliged sir.

I was obviously creamed at the end.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    what bike were you on?
  • markhewitt1978
    His sportive bike, obviously.
  • gweeds
    edited April 2015
    Out of interest of the 35 bikes in the test I work it out as:

18 Sportive sector
    4 Aero sector
    13 Race sector

4 of the 5 finalists were sportive, 1 was aero. Nothing from 'race'
  • gweeds
    His sportive bike, obviously.

Obviously - with an extra 50mm of spacers

A Canyon Ultimate
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    I don't quite understand,older Domane(which is 2012?) vs. Propel(2013?) or BMC(2014?).So bike of the year could be some 2011 model.
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    Can you use a gravel bike for a sportive?

I'm with Gweeds it is all marketing BS.

I just got a canyon cf slx. Very comfortable, very fast. I'd ride a sportive on it if I still wanted to pay to ride my local roads with a bunch of rude mamils.
    Don't believe it is part of their sportive range though...
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

Bugger me! I've been a sportive type rider since 1970 and never knew it!

I've tried three sportives now, and concluded that I don't like forking out £20 to be overtaken by hundreds of complete strangers riding like tw@ts and who then clean out the feed stations before I get there.

I much prefer gloriously peaceful solo cycling with a saddlebag, sandwiches and flask of tea. I am quite old and increasingly grumpy.
  • bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    keef66 wrote:

I've tried three sportives now, and concluded that I don't like forking out £20 to be overtaken by hundreds of complete strangers riding like tw@ts and who then clean out the feed stations before I get there.

I much prefer gloriously peaceful solo cycling with a saddlebag, sandwiches and flask of tea. I am quite old and increasingly grumpy.

Love the post..for some reason it brought to mind this

http://goo.gl/4X9xYZ

You want me?
    F****** well come and find me
    I'll be waiting
    With a flask and a pack of sandwiches :)
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free
  • what bike were you on?

Electric perhaps?
  • keef66 wrote:

:D
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    keef66 wrote:

Something like this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p006yfvp
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    DJ58 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Something like this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p006yfvp

That's me that is. Guilty as charged. And that was exactly the era I started cycling in.