iant Anthem X1 (2010) Vs Anthem X2 2013

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello All,

Q1) What is the Anthem X1 2010 worth today (original spec on XT in good condition) ??

Q2) Frame sizing etc...

I believe the frame geometry of these two bike is similar isn't it ??

Anyway I am 5ft 9inch (approx. 180cm) with inner leg 32+inches (82-83cm) what frame should I fit better M or L ??!!

obviously X1 2010 its 5year old and hard to jump on one and try so I tried the X2 2013 in the shop it was in size L with original stem (90mm ??) well I felt ok but not ideal I would say maybe with shorter stem would be better...I also tried Anthem SL/SX ?? 2015 in size M - it felt very quick I was not so stretched as on L, however the rear end/seat felt a bit low/small etc. we adjusted the seat height correctly but when I jumped on it and after few minutes ride it felt really strange...maybe the rear shock was too soft ??

Anyway I am 5ft 10inch ish (approx. 178-180cm) with inner leg 32inch (82-83cm) what frame should I fit better M or L ??!!

Is it better to get size L with shorter stem (maybe) or M with longer stem ?!

What frame do you guys ride ???
As mentioned I tried roughly both M & L and I am not sure really, so would like to know what you think ??

many thanks

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I'm 6'3 and both trances I've owned (2009 and 2014) have both been large and feel good to me.

As for what size you need, it's hard to say but I suspect the SX you tried possibly had a shorter stem (I'm expecting to be corrected) as its intended for slightly more aggressive usage.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Q1 - refer to rule 16 - a packet of Haribo's.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    Q1 - refer to rule 16 - a packet of Haribo's.....

Yeah I know, but i.e. 1k or £500 just to have rough idea as I have recently come across with few but don't know what is a fair price for them ??
  • Antm81
    I know it's a little harder but links may be better, that way we can see the spec and price and comment from there.
  • kinioo
    edited March 2015
    Here is one X1 2010, but the spec is changed to SLX...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/giant ... 1107389645

Here is another on X1 2010 seems to be in original spec:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Anthem- ... fresh=true

As you can see one is L other one is M hence my question re sizing ??

Also the X2 2013 is available form Pauls Cycles but in size L only...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Condition is very important for value on a used bike, so yes £500-850 for the X1.

I wouldn't be worried about a small change to later SLX, at least it's been maintained!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    kinioo wrote:
    What frame do you guys ride ???
    As mentioned I tried roughly both M & L and I am not sure really, so would like to know what you think ??

many thanks

I am 5'5 and ride a small framed Anthem. Probably irrelevant to what you need though.

The bike on Gumtree looks like its had the forks changed from OE spec. Should be SID's and it has a set of Tora
  • kinioo
    oxoman wrote:
    I'm just under 5ft 8" and have 28" legged trousers and I have the medium Anthem, rode the large framed one and a trance and preferred the medium size. Could almost have got away with a small frame, but decided it was a bit cramped. Pauls Cycles currently has 2013 Anthem X2,s at less than a grand and brand new to boot. They also have Trances in 27,5 available, I personally would be looking at new as you never know what abuse the frame and suspension have had. Brilliant bike but I'm biased.

Currently discussing bike purchase with my company and if they say they can get it for me as a commute bike then it will be a new 2013 X2 from Pauls. Will stick shorter stem and I think I will live with L size; my current hard rock is a 21'' frame and I am quite good on it off road...

We will see next week.

Thanks guys.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im 6'1" and had a large Anthem. Size was perfect for me. At three inches shorter you might struggle with technical riding on a large, it has quite a long seat tube compared to newer bikes.
  • kinioo
    Im 6'1" and had a large Anthem. Size was perfect for me. At three inches shorter you might struggle with technical riding on a large, it has quite a long seat tube compared to newer bikes.

My current bike - Hardrock is 21@ frame size and seat tube is approx 53.3cm.

X2 size L seat tube is 50.8cm

X2 size M seat tube is 45.7cm

So virtually new bike X2 size L should be slightly smaller to what I have/use now which is what I want, as I think my current bike is slightly too big (OK on road and easy bits but could be smaller on serious off), but I am not sure if M will not be too small (after trying SX in M)

Also I tried a Lapierre Zesty in L and it felt perfect - checked frame geometry against X2 and seems to be nearly identical in terms of HT, seat tube and chain stay.

I have read few reviews and people @ 6'0" riding medium and @ 5'8" riding large...

still not sure here
  • Antm81
    Top Tube (or more Importantly effective top tube) is what I'd be comparing, reach is more important than stand over.
  • kinioo
    Antm81 wrote:
    Top Tube (or more Importantly effective top tube) is what I'd be comparing, reach is more important than stand over.

Large TT 61,4cm
    Medium TT 59,5cm

not much difference isnt it ?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I'm 182cm which is just under 6ft, and I'm on an L 2010 Anthem. The original spec had 680 bars and a long stem, but the bike is better now it has 730 on a 70 stem. If you are 5'9" or 5'10" then you might be better off on an M unless you have very long arms
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building