September (2015) trip to Alpe D'Huez

ricey155
ricey155 Posts: 233
edited July 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi all were finally getting around to hitting some proper overseas classic climbs

were staying in Les Duex Alps for 8 days starting 20th Sept, so if anyone has any routes plotted up they are willing to share that would be great even better if you use RIDEWITHGPS :mrgreen:

I've plotted Les Duex to Huex and La Sarrenne 36 miles and 8000ft+ climbing AWESOME stuff :shock: new knees required in 2016

any blogs, routes, gps stuff to share would be great

Cheers in advance
Russ

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Lovely area! You might even get the Galibier in ;)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Glandon/Croix de Fer/Galibier/Telegraphe/Madeleine are all just to the north of where you're at and are all much nicer rides than Alpe d'Huez IMHO, although the ride to the Galibier from the Lauteret is a bit busy by all accounts. Great from the north side though :)

Col D'Ornon to the west of Les Deux Alpes always gets a good mention on here.

What sort of length of time are planning to ride?
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    were there for 7 days riding as for length unsure really as never really done any major climbing :-( I've plotted a 36 miler above with 8k climbing and I'm pretty sure my max in 100 miles was only 5k.

Col D'Ornon is listed in the cyclinguphill site I found top 100 TDF climbs :-) I can't actually wait should be a blast.

Alpe D'Huez is just to tick the DONE list :-) I guess in such a beautiful place there's so many to pick out.

I did see a blog from southend wheelers listing a few that I hadn't heard off, Oulles keeps popping up as a little climb to not miss !!
  • thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    Ricey,

I was out there last September ( La Grave ), similar sort of time. stunning place, coming from Essex I found it fairly challenging = sodding hard on the legs :D but very rewarding ( man against mountain ) from where you are at les deux alps there is a lovely steady ascent to the Col du Lautaret and then the turn off to the Galibier,

Something to bear in mind it is cool/cold at the top of the mountains, take an extra layer to put on for the descents
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    Don't forget that the Tunnel du Chambon on the D1091 towards Briançon is closed, as the side of the hill is threatening to take the tunnel with it as it slides towards the lake. It most certainly won't be open before September, and quite frankly, is unlikely to reopen in the next year or two. They are talking about putting in an alternative road south of the lake, but that won't happen for months, even if it gets the thumbs up.
  • thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    Don't forget that the Tunnel du Chambon on the D1091 towards Briançon is closed, as the side of the hill is threatening to take the tunnel with it as it slides towards the lake. It most certainly won't be open before September, and quite frankly, is unlikely to reopen in the next year or two. They are talking about putting in an alternative road south of the lake, but that won't happen for months, even if it gets the thumbs up.

Good point Stage 20 of the TdF is being re routed due to this! :shock:
  • ronnierocket
    ronnierocket Posts: 172
    There are 3 sportives that go from near there (Vaujany, Marmotte and one from Les Deux Alpes itself)

http://grandtrophee.sportcommunication.com/

I have done the Vaujany one which was pretty good and not affected by the Chambon Tunnel problems

https://www.strava.com/activities/159714822

I think the Les Deux Alpes one follows most of the the same route as the Vaujany one i did but obviously with a more convenient starting place, there is also a choice of longer or shorter routes to follow. There is a route plan on the sportscoummunication site.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I can recommend a loop round over the Ornon, Oris and Col de la Morte - would be a hard ride with 2 Alpes at the end. Might be very similar to the vajany route not sure.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]