CAAD8 Upgrade

effillo
effillo Posts: 257
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I purchased a Cannondale CAAD8 with a Claris groupset last year (nice and cheap - as far as bikes go), I was going to go for the 105 spec but didn’t want to spend the extra money as I wasn’t sure I would end up using it as much as I wanted due to being a pretty committed runner (around 40miles per week). As it turned out I enjoy cycling a lot more and have ended up dropping my running miles off a bit and spending a lot more time on the bike.

As a result I am thinking about an upgrade on the groupset, I have already got new wheels and tyres. One of the reasons I went for the CAAD8 was everyone saying how good a frame it is and upgradeable. I am now in a bit of a dilemma as to whether I should just upgrade the groupset or go for a whole new bike and sell my current one, probably get a few hundred quid (??), I am able to use cycle to work scheme with evans so get decent discount on a new bike but not on the groupset obviously. Does anyone know if the spec of the frame of the CAAD8’s is the same down the range, are the cheaper versions a lower spec or is the price difference purely components?

What groupset would be good to go for if I do this route, should I go 105 or ultegra?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its really not worth upgrading a groupset. Its expensive. If yours works keep it.

If it doesnt = then replace the bits as needed.

You dont notice any improvements unless yours is knacked.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    The CAAD8 frame is the same throughout the range, so there no worries there. Depending on your budget you could go for a 105 upgrade for about £300, factor in installation if you aren't confident in doing it yourself. It will be 11 speed though, so need to make sure your wheels are compatible.

Alternatively, and I say this as a CAAD10 owner, would be to check our a site like Paul's Cyscles and look at the amazing offers they have on SuperSix Evo. You can get an Evo 6 with 10-speed 105 for £1099 I think, your CAAD8 should get a good price on eBay. I imagine the Evo would feel fantastic for not much more. Paint scheme are better on the CAAD though ;)
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Thanks for your feedback. I think replacing the groupset is a no no. I was looking at that model of supersix not long ago but couldn’t pull the trigger, may wait until after the summer and try get this years model on knock down price on scheme.

Another option is that I have the opportunity of a barely used 2013 Specialized Tarmac Mid-Compact for £700. This has a Sora groupset on it. Does anyone have or ridden one of these? I can imagine it will be a step up on mine but not sure if I want to buy an older bike to replace my newer one but I do love the look of it, plus full carbon and a quality frame is a big draw obviously…..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd not bother swapping from yours to that. Your bike gets a great review.

http://road.cc/content/review/50515-can ... ad8-tiagra

To notice much difference you'll have to spend a lot more than your bike was. Spending a few hundred extra - and you'll not see anything.

Either save up - or spend the cash on clothes or a trip to the alps.