Going Tubeless on my Pacenti SL-23

freestyle_gus
freestyle_gus Posts: 120
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
So, what do I need?

I already have 2 layers of stan's tape installed from using clinchers.
x2 25mm tyres - Schwalbe One's?
x2 valves with removable cores
sealant
easy fit or soapy water
x2 air canister
A great deal of patience

Anything else?

Can I really not use plastic levers for fear of damaging the bead (a tip I read somewhere I don't remember)?

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Right. I've done this, and it's not that bad.

Levers are to be avoided by all accounts, but I confess I needed a quick nip with one on one wheel, and suffered no ill effect. Soapy water does help a little, as does talc, but not both. I left the tyres in the airing cupboard and the wheels outside in the hope of some marginal expansion/contraction, which I cheerfully admit probably did bugger all. Never bothered with an air canister, just used my ultra advanced Lidl track pump.

Make sure the valve nut is tight. Inflate initially without sealant and get the pressure good and high to ensure the bead seats and to check for leaks. Add sealant only once you're sure the system is airtight. Put the wee valve tool on your keyring once you're finished, they vanish into he ether once out of sight for more than a millisecond.
  • That's it, it's not too difficult. I used tyre levers (Park Tool plastic) to mount Schwalbe Ones, just hook them over the rim and lever the last section of the tyre on.
  • MisterMuncher
    Half an hour will see you through it. They mounted easier than new Vittoria Corsas to TB14s, that's for sure.
  • Thanks all, good tips there. Also good to know I'm thinking along the right lines :D
  • MisterMuncher
    The one thing I will say is that once they're done, it's a lovely result. Ones in 25mm are just great tyres, I'm at 80R/75F psi for my 70kg and change, at which point they're really plush but still damned quick.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248

Can I really not use plastic levers for fear of damaging the bead (a tip I read somewhere I don't remember)?

Seeing it's closing in to April fool's day, I also want to come out with some stupid advice like that one... it might go down on the web as absolute truth to obey in the years to come...

Why would you damage the bead? Unless you use a pocket knife as tyre lever, I really don't see the peril...
    left the forum March 2023

• Can I really not use plastic levers for fear of damaging the bead (a tip I read somewhere I don't remember)?

Seeing it's closing in to April fool's day, I also want to come out with some stupid advice like that one... it might go down on the web as absolute truth to obey in the years to come...

Why would you damage the bead? Unless you use a pocket knife as tyre lever, I really don't see the peril...

That was also my feeling. I think it was a Michelin instructional video... Hutchinson recommend that you might need a tyre lever to get the last bit of bead over.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I await updates to this thread with interest. I found fitting 25mm tubeless Ones to my SL23s an absolute pain.
  • DKay wrote:
    I await updates to this thread with interest. I found fitting 25mm tubeless Ones to my SL23s an absolute pain.

It's not going to be imminent, I still have some Panaracer clinchers on there that I need to get some miles out of. But I will definitely update when I have taken the plunge :)
  • So, finally did this.

Went with the Hutchinson Sector 28s in the end. Went on like a breeze.

Highly recommended to those (like me!) who find the SL23 rims a right pain to mount tyres on :D