The truth behind petrol station plastic gloves

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,009
edited April 2015 in Road general
You've probably read that if its raining and your hands are cold that nipping into a petrol station and borrowing a pair of those disposable plastic gloves to wear under your own gloves keeps your hands warm.

Well, it does work as I found out during saturdays downpour. The downside is that your hands slip around inside the gloves.

I also ( rather hesitantly) put my gore tex jacket in the tumble dryer to see if it would reactivate the waterproofing.

That also worked as I tried it under a tap afterwards.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I do similar, I borrow a pair of marigolds from the missus.
    I only do this is expecting a downpair and cold temperature. I did it this weekend. Hands do get sweaty, but I prefer that to being cold.
    Only downside is its a tad embarrassing at the coffee stop!
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    I also ( rather hesitantly) put my gore tex jacket in the tumble dryer to see if it would reactivate the waterproofing.

That also worked as I tried it under a tap afterwards.

was it Soft Shell or Active Shell? I have a Gore Bike Softshell (the wetsuit like material) and have tried ironing it which worked a little - but decided against the dryer as the label said no.

which gore text jacket was it?
  • homers_double
    It's an Alpex paclite shell.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    I've always understood Goretex and tumble dryers to be a big no, no!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Motorcyclists have been doing the old petrol glove and carrier bag in the boots trick for years.. its all about a barrier stopping the water evaporating from your wet gloves from cooling your hands.
  • homers_double
    Dorset Boy wrote:

So did I, I'm pretty carefull about landering my bike gear so was sceptical about doing it.

It DOES work though, 20 minutes on a low setting and now the water just runs right off the surface.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought it was recommended by Goretex rather than being some old wives tale that works.
    The re proofing stuff tells you to put in the dryer (on low).

Personally I carry latex gloves in my saddle bag to prevent getting dirty hands (and therefore gloves/clothes).
    Much better than having to find a petrol station and hope they have some of their cr4p ones left.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I find bib-shorts are very good at wiping greasy hands on... well looking at mine that appears to be what I've done over the years :oops:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Carbonator wrote:
    Personally I carry latex gloves in my saddle bag to prevent getting dirty hands (and therefore gloves/clothes).
    That's what I've done for spring & autumn commutes - I don't bother atm as full winter gloves are waterproof enough ...
  • homers_double
    I think next autum's investment will be some fully waterproof gloves, my current ones are just gore windstopper.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Dorset Boy wrote:

So did I, I'm pretty carefull about landering my bike gear so was sceptical about doing it.

It DOES work though, 20 minutes on a low setting and now the water just runs right off the surface.

Not on full heat is the crucial part I think. Just enough to warm it up a bit
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver