Assos & Castelli short sizing

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm after some new bib shorts for big days out. Looking at the deals available on the Assos Factory Outlet/ Castelli Cafe, but I'm after a bit of advice on sizing.

I'm 1.78m tall (5'10")
Waist - 76cm (30")
Hips - 84cm (33")
Inside Leg - 81cm (32")

(I'm built for speed not comfort @ 64kg)

According to the Assos sizing chart I'm a medium for height, but XS for hips. Castelli, I'm a chunk smaller than small I can probably get away with it width wise, but what about height?

I've been using small Pearl Izumi shorts for the last few years, although the last couple of pairs of Attack non-bibs I bought for commuting are definitely on the tight side.

Advice gratefully received!

Cheers,

Jon

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You are probably a Large in Castelli. I wear Large (Castelli FAR and Body Paint) and have similar proportions to you...5'10 and 65kg (though bear in mind that bib shorts are primarily based on height, not waist/weight, etc.).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends how snug you like the fit, AND if you're flexible (high saddle, slammed stem).

I am quite flexible and have my bars quite low and wear Castelli Free Aero Race in a medium.

Odd that the other poster goes for a large.

I am 6ft (on the nose) and 75kg. 32 waist, 36 chest, 32 inseam.

They are pretty tight when you put them on and stand up straight, but once tucked forward on the bike, they are absolutely perfect (and extremely comfortable), but I do like a snug fit.

Tops I struggle to buy online from these kinds of people as I need to try. Most 'standard' brands I wear a small.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Just another for comparison:

heigh 6ft
    75kg
    Inseam 32"

I wear a Large in Assos bibs and they are pretty much perfect
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Compared to most other makes Castelli are tighter. I had to go up a size compared to others. If you are after tight fitting bibs they are well worth considering. I even use mine for mountain biking as they are comfortable without being restrictive.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    5'10", 32 waist, 11 1/2 stones, medium in both
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    5'8"
    66kg
    30" waist
    Assos - medium
    Castelli - medium

I'd say castelli are half a size smaller. But I've worn a medium in every pair of shorts I've used, including these. Don't over think it, just get what you usually would.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,590
    Amazing disparities in sizes chosen here, probably not helping the OP out at all, but here are my stats!

5ft 10, 34" inseam.
    72kg, 32/33" waist.

Can fit, and do fit into Small Castelli shorts, but feel Medium would probably be a better fit.
    Small Assos ones fit fine.

*As I have a comparitively short upper torso in relation to my height, I generally have to get a smaller size that might be ideal, as otherwise the straps are too loose, and the pad does not stay in place.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Have you considered Castelli's Sanremo Speedsuits. More expensive than their high end bibs but cheaper than bibs + jersey and supremely comfy.

FWIW I'm 5'11, 69KG and take an M in Castelli.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,590
    Have you considered Castelli's Sanremo Speedsuits. More expensive than their high end bibs but cheaper than bibs + jersey and supremely comfy.

FWIW I'm 5'11, 69KG and take an M in Castelli.

The speedsuit in an M is fine for me too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18